United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 11
13 February 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have seen fairly convincing research reports that indicate that liberal use of association techniques generally works better than simple repetition.

On the other hand my personal experience is that there isn't time to make very elaborate associations (of the type 'silly stories') while you memorize large amounts of vocabulary so I just make fairly simple associations based on parts of the words or the situation where I saw them or other things.

This all reminds me of the power of extensive reading/listening/watching for vocabulary acquisition. Everything may not be a 'silly story', but mathematically, it's better to remember 50% of 100 things that 100% of 20.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
13 February 2014 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Bao wrote:
But, what I do when I want to learn words is to cram thematic word lists, Iversen style. And then the next day I work with a lesson, a text etc I had made that word list from.

That's also what I recommend.

I managed to not write down what I actually meant to, which was: Guided production from the original text (oral and written), with corrections from a proficient speaker.

What I also meant to say was: I think you don't need a mnemonic system for passive acquisition of vocabulary (except maybe for those few words that really don't stick), and when you attempt to learn to use the vocabulary actively, the end goal is to build your internal lexicon of the target language so you can access it automatically. How the initial acquisition stages of being able to recognize the word and know what it means and being able to recall the word from the translation are reached isn't that important, you could use a memory palace for that. But it's no use if you don't then practice enough to gain the procedural knowledge necessary for being able to make use of the words, plus circumstantial/contextual knowledge about their usage that make life easier when trying to communicate.

And yes, extensive reading/listening does help, but mostly in the long term. And I think that the combination of activities aimed at short to medium term gain with those aimed at medium to long term gain is probably useful for most people.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 11
14 February 2014 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
OK, I answered what you wrote and not what you meant - but guided production with or unguided production without a proficient speaker have in common that you are forced to recall the words you have learnt passively and to put them in realistic sentences. And that's good. You probably gain some proficiency (and maybe a limited number of words and idioms) from getting the corrections, but you get your fluency from the time between the corrections.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version