Triglot
Canada
Joined 4266 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 9 of 18
21 February 2014 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Besides going through phrase books, I also watched a number of TV programs. I especially enjoy listen to radio
discussions on any topic. Even if there is a word or phrase I missed I'd write down the approx. pronunciation and
look it up with Pinyin.

There are certain videos I really enjoy watching while picking up words & phrases along the way. The first is from
Singapore available on YouTube which is a half-hour TV series call: 梁細妹 / 搞笑行动 (Liang Xi Mei / Gao Xiao Xing
Dong) and later 梁婆婆 (Liang Po Po) where the same character plays the role of a grandmother. Each episode is
based on 1 theme and contain simple words & phrases which are easy to follow. Apparently there is no subtitle in
English / Chinese so you need to keep your ears open.

I recently found a show posted on YouTube from Taiwan:
今晚哪裡有問題:聽懂口音暢遊世界
in 5 parts which is quite interesting. The show was aired in Mandarin in
Taiwan and discussed various English accents including Chinese, Indian, American, etc. such as how an Indian
person would pronounce: "Can you tell me how to go to the train station"? This is another way of learning Chinese
by watching videos of how the Chinese learn English.

The other day I was watching a documentary on YouTube someone posted called: The Ultimate 10: Unexplained
Mysteries 世纪十最之十大未解之谜 that someone
have dubbed the narration in Mandarin over the original... starting with Crop Circles, Loch Ness Monsters, Big
Foot, Ghosts, Holy Shroud of Turin, etc. Interesting and didn't find the Chinese dialog too difficult to follow because most of us have read or heard about these things somewhere. Otherwise you can easily locate the
original in English and then flip to the Mandarin version and compare them.

When it comes to writing the characters I find it a challenge to remember some of them but in the long-run not a
problem because I do most of my "writing" including letters & Emails on the computer so as long as I know the
Pinyin, I can find a character. To date I've compiled a computer list over 300 words & phrases in Pinyin alphabetic
order & over 50 4-character proverbs done using Traditional characters. If you want to access it I can make it
available. Right now I am focused on French. Some of the time I would find videos of how the French learn English
and study words & phrases from it.

继续努力, 加油...

Edited by shk00design on 21 February 2014 at 7:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3774 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 18
28 February 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
shk00design> thank's for the heads-up listening/watching

mandarin>english material sounds like an awesome idea.

crush> learning to write radicals and the basic characters

sounds like something that I won't be able to avoid; I'm

going to try and see how I can fit this into my schedule.

UPDATE:

I've been pretty good this week. I've easily maintained my

min. of 1 hour of studies and on most days I'm reaching

about 2 hours. I'm currently on Pimsleur 2 lesson 9 and

though this is not where I would have liked to have been

I'm still pleased with myself for maintaining a daily

study schedule to the requirements I set out to achieve.

I am finding that Pimsleur's approach on Pimsleur 2 is

becoming more exciting/useful/enjoyable- we're now

touching on compound sentences! - but ultimately

inconsistent and less useful for the communication of

appropriate grammar usage.

Some examples.

He lives in Beijing

Ta zhu zai beijing

He has lived in Beijing for how long?

Ta zai bejing zhu le duo jiu le

before having lunch lets go to wangfujing avenue
     chī wǔ fàn yǐ qián qù wáng fǔ jǐng dà jiē

ok, but before that lets go to wangfujing avenue
     hǎo kě shì zài nà yǐ qián qù wáng fǔ jǐng dà jiē

There are many other examples and try as I might to wait

to see the logic revealed to me, it just doesn't happen, instead I usually end up rote
learning the phrases.

Because of these reasons I haven't been able to move on to more advanced lessons
sooner, repeating the same lessons over and over again trying to remember both the new
vocab and the changing logic.

In other news: I've created my Anki decks for the whole of pimsleur 1 and FSI MOD1 and
am going through them. Most days I'm doing at least 30m.

Goals for the new week (study 2 hours everyday min.):

at least 50 cards of Anki everyday or 30m

at least 1.5hr of pimsleur

figure out a study plan for FSI

have a look at assimil

figure out a long term study plan to learn basic chinese characters and radicals

A final word: despite not being able to do a pimsleur a day I'm overall pleased with
myself for being disciplined enough to continue.

I am becoming more and more aware of the need for personal sacrifice if I really want
to obtain second language proficiency. I think actually that this counts for a lot of
worthy tasks. In order to obtain high level fluency or some mastery over a certain
skill, whether it be learning a musical instrument, learning a language or getting
better times in the swimming pool, significant time sacrifices are necessary.

The guys I know who are master guitar players now - where I am not ! - were practicing
at an appropriate level for 3-4 hours a day for several years! I think the same can
probably be said about people - though I haven't met any as yet - who develop high
level proficieny in a second language.

I've never really been that disciplined in my life and so for me to see this through
and work 50+ hours a week, means I don't have time to watch tv, procrastinate on the
internet, excessively idle away with the gf, or sleep late (because it means I won't be
able to concentrate the following day).
In many ways its very exciting in others its a very controlled and scheduled lifestyle
very unlike what I am used to.

Hope I keep it up!

Edited by dhaubles on 28 February 2014 at 4:15am

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3774 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes

Message 11 of 18
11 March 2014 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
BELATED UPDATE:

This week and a bits been pretty steady, I'm back to my usual pace of a Pimsleur a day
and am now on Pimsleur 2 Lesson 19.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make my goal of 2 hours every day and averaged around
1.5hours on most days. Presently I do 1 hour of Pimsleur - the previous days lesson + a
new lesson - and 30m of Anki.

I'm beginning to think, at this rate, that given the amount of time I am able to
allocate to learning Chinese, I might be better served if I postpone character study
for the while until I have better spoken fluency. I am feeling pretty good about my
progress with Pimsleur but really want to begin FSI. My reasoning goes that if US
personnel begin with spoken language and pinyin first, then I might benefit from a
similar approach. Besides I also would to introduce things like Chinese TV with English
subtitles and maybe some Chinese music...

Goal for the coming week:

maintain 1.5 hours of study:

consider switching to 30m pimsleur, 1 hour FSI

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4342 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer

Message 12 of 18
11 March 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
dhaubles wrote:
BELATED UPDATE:

This week and a bits been pretty steady, I'm back to my usual pace of a Pimsleur a day
and am now on Pimsleur 2 Lesson 19.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make my goal of 2 hours every day and averaged around
1.5hours on most days. Presently I do 1 hour of Pimsleur - the previous days lesson + a
new lesson - and 30m of Anki.

I'm beginning to think, at this rate, that given the amount of time I am able to
allocate to learning Chinese, I might be better served if I postpone character study
for the while until I have better spoken fluency. I am feeling pretty good about my
progress with Pimsleur but really want to begin FSI. My reasoning goes that if US
personnel begin with spoken language and pinyin first, then I might benefit from a
similar approach. Besides I also would to introduce things like Chinese TV with English
subtitles and maybe some Chinese music...

Goal for the coming week:

maintain 1.5 hours of study:

consider switching to 30m pimsleur, 1 hour FSI

Sounds like you are getting on pretty well! One cool thing about doing characters right from the beginning is that it
opens you up to a whole load of native written materials which you will be able to mine vocabulary from. I don't
think there are many books written in pinyin that are native. Also it's super helpful when watching Chinese
TV/movies, because almost all of them seem to have subtitles in Chinese, and this really helps to know what is
going on. If you just learn to read to begin with and do a small number every day or two, I imagine it wouldn't take
up much time and the benefit would outweigh the time you spend on it. Obviously I can only speak as someone
who is in the process of learning and did characters right from the start! Just my 2 cents! 加油!

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3774 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes

Message 13 of 18
12 March 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
js6426> thanks for your input! I will more than likely maintain some level of effort for
the characters - maybe once a week or when procrastinating at work - but as for the
minimum goals I set for myself, they will mostly be dedicated to listening/speaking.

I figure if, as a Chinese child, you can learn to speak very fluently with little
introduction to written materials, than I should like to simulate that experience for
awhile. I want to introduce tv/movies/radio/music and all of that takes hours away from
writing/reading.

I just started FSI today and am pretty excited for where this might take me!

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3774 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes

Message 14 of 18
14 April 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE:

Life's getting pretty hectic up here, despite my lack of updates I am still continuing
on in my studies, I have been consistent.

I am now on Pimsleur 3 lesson 12 and FSI BIO.

I average only 1 hour a day and unfortunately at the moment this is all pimsleur. I
find it difficult to do FSI because there are many references to the textbook which
make it difficult to do when in transit. I have to figure out a more reliable study
plan as I really would like to be spending most of my time doing FSI.

Anyways goal for next week will be to average 1.5hours study minimum with optimal
2hours.

I really should not have joined TAC as I feel that I am not so inspiring as the other
more active members.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5687 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 15 of 18
14 April 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
I spent most of my time with FSI walking to/from work. I don't remember how exactly i went about it, i think i just scanned through the lesson after going through a tape once and then set the book aside. But it should be possible to get through FSI just fine without needing to lug around a bunch of papers or stare at a computer screen :)

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3774 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes

Message 16 of 18
05 May 2014 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
QUICK UPDATE> I have been having trouble listening to my tapes to and from work for
lack of a decent pair of earphones. I have now sorted this out but I think this must
have slowed my progress- I am now on Pimsleur 3 Episode 21 when perhaps I might have
been finished with Pimsleur.

Still trying to figure out a way to do the FSI tapes without being attached to a book.
I find I am able to do the c1 and p1 tapes but I cannot do the c2, p2 or d tapes
without reference to the book. There seems to be a reliance on games or activities that
require reference to diagrams that I can't get around. Anybody got any tips for this?

On another note, I am in the process of seeking out some 1on1 language assistance for
my endeavours. I've heard this can be an effective way to improve, we'll see, I shall
try them once a week or so for awhile and let you all know how it goes.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version