CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5053 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 1 of 7
13 February 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
I recently began studying the Kanji with Hadamitzky and Spahn's Complete guide to the
Japanese writing system. I gained a decent knowledge of the characters and began to wonder
about the origins of certain characters and the countries attached to them. For example the
word for the US and the Americas is 米 or Bei which is also the word for rice. Is this
because the Americas import alot of rice?

Also, there are other interesting ones like 独 for Germany, which also happens to mean alone.
満 meaning Manchuria and also full or fulfill. Perhaps because Manchuria was a large area
with a high population?

Another one I found interesting was 英 for England\English and also Brilliant, talented and
gifted. My hypothesis is that because English is a hard language for ESL learners and
particularly in Asia, it therefore takes a "gifted" person to learn it.

Others like 西 for Spain and west makes sense as they were traders that came from the west.

I'd be interested in hearing about more kanji\hanji that are also linked to countries and
their meanings.

Edited by CaucusWolf on 13 February 2014 at 12:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5741 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
13 February 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
My understanding is that they are chosen foremost for their phonetic similarity to the name of the country in its local language, and the meaning of the character is only secondary. America used to be called 米利堅(メリケン). The first character was taken from that to form 米国.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5380 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 7
13 February 2014 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Well, in Chinese, America is the beautiful country (美國), not the rice country. The hanzi only sounds its name out (měi like America). Anyway, if you find rice and beauty in your country, be blessed.

Edited by Cabaire on 13 February 2014 at 2:17am

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 4 of 7
13 February 2014 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
My understanding is that they are chosen foremost for their phonetic similarity to the name of the country in its local language, and the meaning of the character is only secondary. America used to be called 米利堅(メリケン). The first character was taken from that to form 米国.
This. There are a few characters whose readings alternate, or used to alternate, between m__ and b__ (compare 一万「いちまん」 and 万歳「ばんざい」), and 米 is among them, even though nowadays the b reading is a lot more commonplace.

Fun fact: originally the character used for Russia was 魯, pronounced "ro" and meaning "foolish". It was even used in the original text of the Treaty of Shimoda of 1855, which started official Russo-Japanese diplomatic relations. It wasn't until 1877 that the Russian diplomats stationed in Japan protested and requested its replacement with the identically pronounced 露 ("dew"), which remains in use to this day (although many if not most publications reserve 露 for the Russian Empire and represent modern Russia with the katakana ロ).
4 persons have voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5053 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 5 of 7
13 February 2014 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I'd be interested in knowing the similarities between Russian and Japanese. I know they had a
significant amount of contact. Was Japanese easy for you to learn?
2 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 6 of 7
15 February 2014 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm afraid there aren't that many similarities. The contacts between the two countries only were fully established only in the 19th century and the languages didn't really influence each other much beyond a few loanwords here and there. There are some subtle similarities between keigo and the honorific speech of pre-Revolution Russia, but the two systems evolved completely independently of each other, and the Russian one has been mostly lost in modern speech. It might be a bit easier for a native speaker of Russian to get used to Japanese sentence structure than for a native speaker of English, due to things like more flexible word order or greater pro-drop qualities (even if it's noticeably less pro-drop than many other Slavic languages), but other than that Japanese is just as alien to us as it is to you.

For me personally Kazakh was actually a much better introduction to Japanese, since they're both agglutinative and have many similarities in conjugation and declension patterns. The downside is that, since I don't live in Kazakhstan any more and don't get regular practice in the language, it's very easy for Japanese to interfere with my Kazakh. Now I find it very hard to formulate a sentence in Kazakh without inserting random Japanese words, particles or conjugatons.

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5564 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 7 of 7
17 February 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
CaucusWolf wrote:
US and the Americas is 米
独 for Germany
満 meaning Manchuria
英 for England\English
西 for Spain

All of these kanji, with the exception of Manchuria (満州), are used for phonetic
reasons. There is no connection with the normal meaning of the characters.
Furthermore, they are all abbreviations of a full phonetic reading.

亜米利加 = アメリカ = America (アメリカ合衆国 is the official name for the USA)
独逸 = ドイツ = Germany
英吉利 = イギリス = England
西班牙 = スペイン = Spain

America uses the second character 米 only because a different country uses 亜 (亜国 =
Argentina).

Here are some more:
亜爾然丁 = アルゼンチン = Argentina
濠太剌利 = オーストラリア = Australia
仏蘭西 = フランス = France
印度 = インド = India
露西亜 = ロシア = Russia
亜細亜 = アジア = Asia
阿弗利加 = アフリカ = Africa
欧羅巴 = ヨーロッパ = Europe

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version