Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 11
13 February 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I see I may have gone too much into just part of the question.

Choosing a book you actually like is never a bad thing. Choosing a children's book or anything recomended for your level despite disliking it, that could be a huge obstacle to your learning. When choosing a book, I think the formula to determine what is suitable is like 1/3 difficulty + 2/3 interest. Sometimes even 1/4 difficulty to 3/4 of interest.

Kindle and audible are great tools. Kindle with a dictionary inside (I think emk has had great success using it) can make even the intensive reading much faster and more fun :-)
6 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 11
14 February 2014 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
blackcherries wrote:

Another question: wlll it hinder my learning to read a normal level first instead of a children's book?

blackcherries wrote:

I have been reading the "proper rules" link and I have some questions if you don't mind. Do all three of the steps have
to be done within a day or otherwise will no learning take place?

It looks as if you are worried that if you don't get it right, you won't learn anything. Language learning is not like reciting a magic formula: get one thing wrong and nothing works. There are not tricks to learning a language, you just have to keep working on it. I can't vouch specifically for the LR method, but I do know that reading a few hundred pages in French while listening to the audio in French made a huge difference in my understanding. And now I can happily read French without audio, being pretty sure that I'm pronouncing it well in my head.

To answer more specifically: you can read adult books or children's books. I preferred to start with readers. As Cavesa said, the important thing is that it's something you like. I recently read an article by Krashen, and one of his main points was that students need to find something compelling to read, not just interesting. As to what you should do in a day, just do something. Allez hop! Lisez!!
6 persons have voted this message useful

DinaAlia
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3727 days ago

24 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: Swedish, Danish, Norwegian*, English, French
Studies: Greek, Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Icelandic
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 11
24 February 2014 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
If using this method, I'd settle for little variation and fairly old and famous books. There is a fair chance of it being
on Librivox and Gutenberg/Wikisource simultaneously. That's pretty much how I do "binary reading", too; Alice's
Adventures, for instance, has many translations on Wikisource.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version