Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 17 of 43
10 March 2014 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Wow, you covered 3.5 lessons of Hugo in a week, together with all other things!!
You are a fast learner :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4583 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 18 of 43
16 March 2014 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
I do wonder if I've miscounted somewhere...Thanks very much for keeping checking in and
giving me encouragement! It's really appreciated :)

Week 5
w/e 16/03/14
Total time studying: 10 hours 40 mins
Themes of the week: Revenge of the auxiliary verb! The Simple Past tense! Prepositions
from Hell!

Work Completed
Class- Welkommen! Book 1 to Chapter 8/12 page 145/ 242
Home- Hugo in 3 months- Week 9 completed
Assimil- lesson 22 completed (first wave)

Thoughts
This was another tough week. I haven't been that great again this week. Extremely
tired. I didn't do any extra work aside from my formal work. No reading (well, a tiny
bit on the bus).

This week coming, my friend's coming up for a long weekend so I'm not setting my usual
targets. I want to use any time I do have for revision of all 3 books/courses. My
friend's originally from Germany so maybe I'll get a bit of speaking practice done. But
I won't push it as it's meant to be a break for both of us!

I am finally going to reply to the penpal responses I've received at Interpals. I'll
have to profusely apologise. I've been too scared to make the jump. I'm off to do that
right after finishing on the forum here!

I've also received a bit of money so I've splashed out of some extra books recommended
on this website (all reduced price/second hand):

Textbooks- 1960s Hugo German in 3 months, German How to Speak and Write it (1962),
Teach Yourself Improve your German
Reference- 750 German Verbs, Wort fur Wort: A New Advanced German Vocabulary
Fun reading- Tintin: Die schwarze Insel (The Black Island)
DVD- Best of 'Friends' Series 3 with German, French, English and Polish soundtracks :D

I haven't received all of them yet but the 'German How to speak and Write it' is
really, really good with lots of content and brilliant 50s style illustrations. Wort
fur Wort is aimed at UK pupils in their last 2 years of secondary school and is filled
with vocabulary to raise grades in speaking and writing exams. Useful things like 'in
my opinion...', 'it could be argued'. It's really great and I recommend it. There's 5
editions. I just went for the 3rd as it was just a few pounds and I don't need to be
up-to-date with school leaving exams...

The one I don't recommend is the 'Teach Yourself Improve Your German'. If you're using
the Hugo course, it comes in at a lower level.

Goals for next week: Get my 7 Assimil lessons done. Read my textbooks from start to
current page, using as much of the listening material as I can as well. No time
minimum.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 19 of 43
17 March 2014 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
yantai_scot wrote:

Class- Welkommen! Book 1 to Chapter 8/12 page 145/ 242

Textbooks- 1960s Hugo German in 3 months,
German How to Speak and Write it (1962),

I haven't received all of them yet but the 'German How to speak and Write it' is
really, really good with lots of content and brilliant 50s style illustrations.

The one I don't recommend is the 'Teach Yourself Improve Your German'. If you're using
the Hugo course, it comes in at a lower level.

I'm surprised you dont like the Improve your German book. Isnt that supposed to be the
next level book after Welkommen? How is the Welkommen book BTW?

Also, isnt 1960s Hugo the same as the present book (with just some formatting changes)?

I also recent bought the German How to speak and Write it book, looks very nice with
lots of content.

Where did you get the 750 German verbs book? How much did it cost? Darn book is out of
print.

yantai_scot
Joined 4583 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 

Message 20 of 43
23 March 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
The TY Improve your German is the sequel to TY German.

Willkommen is an adult class textbook by Paul Coggles. I think it's aimed at us Brits.
Alas, it's not really set up for independent learners. The answers come in a seperate
book, the listening exercises are extra, too. It also has a fair amount of partner work
and bits of writing as it progresses that needs a teacher to correct you.

The older Hugo book looks different in content(although I haven't gone through it yet).
There doesn't appear to be the same depth of grammar compared to our modern version.
But it does have exercises and answers so might make a nice consolidation item once
we're between book 1 and 2.

Ebay is my friend :)
Admittedly, when I first looked, the only copies were being sold for about 40 euros.
But I did another search the next day and got mine for £4.69 incl p & p so 7 euros?

Oh, another book I got this week was 'Living German' again by Paul Coggles. Our
teachers had used several of the stories with our class. It's a collection of native
language materials, grammar and exercises plus a cd. It's apparently a course although
I wasn't planning on using it as such.

Sorry- I tried to add links to the items on ebay but the post wasn't having any of it.

Edited by yantai_scot on 23 March 2014 at 9:44pm

yantai_scot
Joined 4583 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 

Message 21 of 43
23 March 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Week 6
w/e 23/03/14
Total time studying: 7 hours
Themes of the week: Best laid plans...

Work Completed
Class- Went rogue and did worksheets our teacher had found to give us a break from
grammar bashing. Just one week left!!!
Home- DVD watched, a fair bit of reading for fun done.
Assimil- lesson 24 completed (first wave)
Penpals- wrote 1 reply to potential new friend in Iceland (originally from Nurenburg)

Thoughts
Was meant to be a revision week. Didn't get any done. I did, however, watch a film at
long last- Keinohnehasen (no-eared-rabbit) which is a modern rom-com starring Til
Schweiger (plays the German policeman who arrests Kermit in the new Muppet movie) and
Nora Schirner. Good, fun film. Rather explicit at times for the rating so be careful of
your company. Adds to your knowledge of German swearing :)

Best friend (who's German) said my accent is okay but my written grammar is all over
the place. She can understand the meaning but my 'einen' and 'der' are all wrong. I can
certainly understand simple questions like 'What did you dream about last night?' but
my replies are very short.

Assmil wasn't practical once my friend arrived so I only got a few lessons done. Back
on the wagon this coming week...

Goals for next week:

Assmil- complete to lesson 31 (first wave)
Hugo- complete lesson 11
Finish writing my penpal replies

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 22 of 43
24 March 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
yantai_scot wrote:

Ebay is my friend :)
Admittedly, when I first looked, the only copies were being sold for about 40 euros.
But I did another search the next day and got mine for £4.69 incl p & p so 7 euros?

750 German verbs for 5.5 euros shipped is a great deal indeed!
I had to pay like 18-19 euros for mine :-\

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 23 of 43
07 April 2014 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
Yo Lorna, what up? Hope you are making good progress.

Edited by Gemuse on 07 April 2014 at 6:44am

yantai_scot
Joined 4583 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 

Message 24 of 43
08 April 2014 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Thanks for noticing my absence :)

Ye Gods! I've had a rough couple of weeks...I have chronic depression and one of the
meds I've been on has been great for mood but also sent brain into overdrive. This
meant I studied lots of German and speaking it around the house but meant I wasn't
getting enough rest and I was at serious risk of being murdered for my 18/24 babbling
and inability to talk about anything other than languages...

I had a change of meds 2 weeks ago- the first week was rotten in general- big mood
swings so had to accept that German wasn't a priority. Then last week, things settled a
bit but it's like my brain's a log floating down a quiet river rather than an Olympic
kayaker shooting the rapids. I had to abandon my Assimil last week as I couldn't even
follow the conversation with the book. But sunny, quiet day today so back in the
saddle.

Anyhow, dusting myself off. Will have to adjust my weekly goals down a bit but also
determined to do more 'fun' reading and tv watching which should help bridge the gap.

Alles gut!

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version