umiak
Groupie
Poland
Joined 4301 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*

Message 1 of 5
16 February 2014 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Has someone listened(-read) to 安娜·卡列尼娜 / Anna Karenina by L. Tolstoy at this website? Could someone who's listened to it or is proficient enough in Chinese confirm that the recording is consistent with this translation and is complete?

PS2: I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask this question, sorry if it isn't. Feel free to move the thread to the appropriate section.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4066 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 2 of 5
01 March 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
I have listened to the first minutes of the first 3 chapters respectively.

First, the wording in the audiobook is not the same as that in the text you provided,
which means it may not be appropriate to use these materials to do listening-reading in
the strict sense, which requires the exact same wording. They differ in 3 ways.

a) The narrator probably reads from a different translation. From the little fragments
I have surveyed, it looks more like this: http://www.eywedu.com/masterpiece/070.htm

b) It seems to me (My first language is Cantonese, not Mandarin) that the narrator
tells the story in spoken language rather than strictly following the written form.

c) The text you provided contain omissions.

Second, as you may have noticed, the chapters of the audiobook do not correspond to
those of the text. There are 136 pieces of recordings but more than 200 chapters of
text. The first clip contains 2 chapters of text. The second, the following 1 and a
half. The third starts from the middle of chapter 4 of the text.

Edited by Paco on 01 March 2014 at 3:28pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

umiak
Groupie
Poland
Joined 4301 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 

Message 3 of 5
04 March 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, Paco.
Paco wrote:
[...]
a) The narrator probably reads from a different translation. From the little fragments
I have surveyed, it looks more like this: http://www.eywedu.com/masterpiece/070.htm

b) It seems to me (My first language is Cantonese, not Mandarin) that the narrator
tells the story in spoken language rather than strictly following the written form.

Does that mean the audiobook I found and the text provided by you don't match 100% (and are therefore not suitable for Listening-Reading)?

Paco wrote:
c) The text you provided contain omissions.

I'm wondering then if the text I provided matches another audiobook of Anna Karenina found at the same website providing the previous recoding (there are 99 clips this time).
1 person has voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4066 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 4 of 5
05 March 2014 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
I should make it clear that if you are an advanced Mandarin speaker, I think the
audiobooks work just fine, and I suspect you would find anything better. But let me
explain the difference between the audiobooks and the texts - perhaps they would not
sound that different afterwards as it may be due to the fact that I am not familiar
with LR and audiobooks in Mandarin.

The differences I am aware of:

a) some interjections added, especially at the end of sentences

b) different wording, for example,
Line 4 in your text: 就是他们全家和仆人都为此感到痛苦
Smae line in audio: 连全家和仆人都为此感到痛苦

Is it common in audiobooks in Mandarin? Does it indicate that the audiobook is based on
a different text, or rather that the narrator just would not read the lines as they are
written? Does it make them unsuitable for LR for beginners? Are they suitable for LR
for advanced leaners? I am not sure, and you should consult those who have experience.

And I am a bit curious about your level. You need help to identify the clips but it
seems that you can read Chinese.

Now your second question. I have listened for a paragraph, and, yes, they match,
mostly, with the kind of differences I have just mentioned. I find this clip more
natural than the previous one, which sounds old-fashioned.

Edited by Paco on 05 March 2014 at 4:18am

umiak
Groupie
Poland
Joined 4301 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 

Message 5 of 5
06 March 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
你好, Paco. 谢谢. :)

Paco wrote:
I should make it clear that if you are an advanced Mandarin speaker, I think the
audiobooks work just fine, and I suspect you would find anything better. But let me
explain the difference between the audiobooks and the texts - perhaps they would not
sound that different afterwards as it may be due to the fact that I am not familiar
with LR and audiobooks in Mandarin.

The differences I am aware of:

a) some interjections added, especially at the end of sentences

b) different wording, for example,
Line 4 in your text: 就是他们全家和仆人都为此感到痛苦
Smae line in audio: 连全家和仆人都为此感到痛苦

Is it common in audiobooks in Mandarin? Does it indicate that the audiobook is based on
a different text, or rather that the narrator just would not read the lines as they are
written? Does it make them unsuitable for LR for beginners? Are they suitable for LR
for advanced leaners? I am not sure, and you should consult those who have experience.

And I am a bit curious about your level. You need help to identify the clips but it
seems that you can read Chinese.

Now your second question. I have listened for a paragraph, and, yes, they match,
mostly, with the kind of differences I have just mentioned. I find this clip more
natural than the previous one, which sounds old-fashioned.

I see. So the recordings might be of some use to someone who's already got some knowledge of Mandaring, but I guess they might not be suitable for total beginners.

The two phrases I used at the beginning of this post are about all I can say in Chinese. I'm currently trying to collect materials for Listening-Reading method to study Mandarin. Unfortunately, I haven't succeeded much so far, but I hope I'll find something.

Thank you again for your help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version