Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4424 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 13
20 February 2014 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Dakuten and handakuten shouldn't be too much of a problem once you've mastered the
basic hiragana.

Adding dakuten voices the leading consonant (k->g, t->d etc.) so て(te) -> で(de) and so
on. It's pretty regular. The same is true for the handakuten except that they're even
easier in that they only add to the h-column: は(ha) -> ぱ(pa).

The small や, ゆ and よ are slightly trickier, but all you really need to know at this
stage is how they combine and the sound pattern they generate. For example, に + ゃ
makes にゃ (ni + ya => nya). You don't need to remember which hiragana can take a
trailing small y-kana, since you're mostly reading rather than writing at the moment.
By the time you need to know then you'll have seen enough of them for the patterns to
have stuck anyway.

What I found harder was picking up the katakana. Firstly you see them less often and
secondly I found that there was a small amount of interference with the hiragana.

I'd certainly second and third what @Hasi said about writing them out: I wrote out the
whole basic table in the morning and in the evening every day for a few weeks and that
really helped to make them stick.

1 person has voted this message useful

Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4050 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 10 of 13
22 February 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
First of all, I want to thank everybody for giving me advice. I've put an end to my short Japanese adventure, but I hope to explore several other languages soon.

I currently have earache and since I can't take anti-inflammatory medication, sometimes my eyes start crying on their own (I'm not sad!) because my ear is so painful. Urgh.
Sadly, I can't listen to anything at the moment because of this. Noises make my ear more painful for some reason.

I will probably play a little bit with Spanish or Portuguese next. These languages seem pretty easy to me, and I'm very tempted to try watching Un Paso Adelante!

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 11 of 13
22 September 2016 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

What I found harder was picking up the katakana. Firstly you see them less often and
secondly I found that there was a small amount of interference with the hiragana.

Huh? Among the three scripts, Katakana was the one I mastered first. It was because the first time I wanted to learn Japanese scripts was when I wanted to write Digimons' name in Japanese and most of them were Katakana.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4424 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 13
22 September 2016 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
dampingwire wrote:

Huh? Among the three scripts, Katakana was the one I mastered first. It was because
the first time I wanted to learn Japanese scripts was when I wanted to write
Digimons' name in Japanese and most of them were Katakana.

If you read anime you may well see more katakana. However, if you read books or text
books or the web, you'll almost certainly see much more hiragana than katakana. So
that's why I find the katakana harder to retain.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 13 of 13
26 September 2016 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
dampingwire wrote:

Huh? Among the three scripts, Katakana was the one I mastered first. It was because
the first time I wanted to learn Japanese scripts was when I wanted to write
Digimons' name in Japanese and most of them were Katakana.

If you read anime you may well see more katakana.

That depends on the anime itself. Digimon uses various international myths and legends all over the world, so their names are written in Katakana (sans Monzaemon archetype). Bleach, on the other hand...

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version