Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 13
19 February 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
If I study a single language for three to four hours in a day, it seems like the first couple of hours are quite fruitful, but the last couple are not as productive. However, if I use the same four hours to study two or three different languages the gains across all of them are a lot better. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon ? Can studying multiple languages in a day really be better than studying just one ?
7 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 2 of 13
19 February 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
That's exactly what I do. Actually I don't work on shifts longer than 30 minutes for a
single language. That allows me to study 6 languages through about 7 hours a day, while I
wouldn't be able to study 1 or even 2 languages all that time.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 3 of 13
19 February 2014 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Yes, there's some studies about that... studying the same thing for more than 30 minutes
tend to be less than ideal. Even the same language... if I'm just listening to it this
seems to be true, then if I do anything else for a few minutes and come back then I've
got a bit of a boost.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4911 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 4 of 13
19 February 2014 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
My learning happens mostly through listening, reading and interacting. I can read or listen for hours in any of my languages. In country, or when I'm with friends, I can interact in and consume language all day long. At home, it's fun to switch between languages, but this is mostly content driven, not due to fatigue. I'm wary of the idea that you need to 'study' languages (as in work hard); I prefer to do things I enjoy, and I can enjoy myself all day long. If I'm not there yet with a specific skill (e.g., speaking, or writing an essay), I don't force myself to do it. I know from experience I'll get there eventually.

Edited by Bakunin on 19 February 2014 at 8:45pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4302 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 5 of 13
19 February 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
My learning happens mostly through listening, reading and interacting.
I can read or listen for hours in any of my languages.

Me too, but this works only with compelling content for me. For moderately interesting
content, I can endure about 30 minutes of reading (extensively) or 1 hour of listening
to an audiobook. Unfortunately, there are always chapters that aren't as interesting as
others. For whatever reason, I can do a lot more with TV series, and watching for
several hours in one go seems to be actually more productive than watching only 1
episode.

edit:
maybe I should add that the same holds true for reading or listening in my native language

Edited by daegga on 19 February 2014 at 8:57pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 13
19 February 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
There are plenty of studies that show that practice of an expert skill (e.g., piano) can only be done for about 4-5 hours per day. Of course there are filler activities that you can do around these activities, but you are pretty severely limited to hours you can actually study/practice really effectively.

I am a bit dubious about the idea that 2 hours/day is optimal for learning - if so, why is immersion such an effective technique for language learning?
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 13
19 February 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
Can studying multiple languages in a day really be better than studying just one ?

Definitely. That's how I do my studying. I would say that the time I spend on one language in a row rarely exceed two hours (apart from holidays and TV watching), and one hour is more typical. And I try to mix grammar, copying/retranslation, wordlists and other activities so that I for instance study Asterix in Greek with a mixture of copying and retranslation, and after that I do wordlists in Icelandic or read some Spanish extensively. Doing one single thing a whole evening long would be boring.

On the other hand I wouldn't get any 'flow' in an activity if I didn't give it enough time - and 10-15 minutes would normally be the lower limit. However surfing can take me through a whole row of languages with just a few minutes for each one. I guess even this in the long run is has some kind of accumulative positive effect - but I can't feel an immediate effect in the same way as I can with an activity that lasts twenty, thirty minutes or more.

Edited by Iversen on 19 February 2014 at 10:25pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 8 of 13
19 February 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
If I study a single language for three to four hours in a day, it seems like the first couple of hours are quite fruitful, but the last couple are not as productive. However, if I use the same four hours to study two or three different languages the gains across all of them are a lot better. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon ? Can studying multiple languages in a day really be better than studying just one ?

For myself, I've found that about 1 hour, 2 hours on a good day, of actual study in a language is my limit before I start to feel fatigued and start losing focus. That's why I break the 3-4 hours a day I have for studying languages between 2-3 languages. I keep a high level of motivation and enthusiasm if I spend 3 hours studying 3 languages. If I tried (and I have many times) to spend that 3 hours studying just 1 language, I end up quitting for the day sometime during that 2nd or 3rd hour.

That 1-2 hour limit doesn't include "passive" activities like extensive listening and extensive reading. Those, as long as it doesn't feel like I'm making an effort or get bored, I can do for several hours.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version