cod2
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4349 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 

Message 49 of 52
04 March 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
It seems to me that you've got too many cards, too soon.

Wrong.

Javi wrote:
I bet that most of your cards will be either meaningless to you (imported from external sources) or plainly stupid (created by yourself when you sucked at the language and possibly at SRS too)...

Wrong.

Javi wrote:
...although you might just as well ditch you deck entirely and start a new one based on your exposure to native material. If it's any consolation, some people will only consider starting their SRS practice at the point you are now or even later, so you lost nothing. If you ask me, SRS is not a good tool to start a new language, I would rather use wordlists, pop-up dictionaries and learning material the way it's supposed to be used.

You have made a lot of assumptions - pretty much all of which are wrong. Did you actually read my opening post at all, or are you just reacting to the title of the thread?

Edited by cod2 on 04 March 2014 at 7:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Javi
Spain
Joined 5776 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 50 of 52
05 March 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Not only did I read it but also did the maths: 5000 cards with hundreds of daily reviews seems to me like cramming, so I thought that perhaps you've been overdoing the whole thing for a while. Just for comparison, I've got more than twice as many cards as you, but I don't get hundreds of reps every day, just 20-25, on which I spend an average of 15 minutes. So how come you're getting that many reps? You said you cards are well made, so surely it comes down to cramming, missing days or both.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 51 of 52
06 March 2014 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
FWIW the conclusions seemed very reasonable to me. Have you considered the possibility that you still, well, suck at making cards that you'll want to see again in a month or in a year?
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6345 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 52 of 52
20 October 2014 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

Sanity-saving SRS tip #1: If you groan inside when you see a card, delete that card immediately.

That whole post was just phenomenal emk. We are having a similar discussion and linked to your post
here

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version