Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4654 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 1 of 4
23 February 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Finally I've started shadowing, but after couple of days I'm not sure if it really works for me. Maybe it's because I don't have a huge garden to wander around ;) So I'm interested if in your cases it worked just from scratch or after some time.

Edited by prz_ on 23 February 2014 at 2:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 4
23 February 2014 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
And are you sitting down or walking at home? Try both.

Quoting what I wrote elsewhere:

Quote:
As an introvert Russian who lives in a flat on the 8th floor and loves to study at night... going outside for 10 min of shadowing is a ridiculous thought, especially in winter. And if I artificially force myself to walk around my room, it just makes it worse.

I mean it clearly works best like that for Prof Arguelles, and I have a HUGE respect for him, but we're all different.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4049 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
23 February 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
What exactly do you mean when you say it doesn't work for you? Do you mean you're unable to speak over the audio comfortably, or that you're not seeing any benefits from it?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 4
23 February 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I'd say modify the technique based on what you know about yourself, and on what you actually need for the time being.

In my case: I never started a language with shadowing. That means that even when I sometimes talk in the language, I am not used at copying native like sounds at the given speed at my current level. After all, listening comprehension exercises are designed to challenge your listening ability, and speaking lags behind in accuracy and speed for most learners. That means I have to use easier material ... which is boring, and makes me stop. Or I use the material I first tried but in shorter snippets. And that's what I started doing, using material I actually want to be able to say, Olle Kjellin style. And that helps me immediately, as in when I do 15 minutes of that I don't get a sore throat trying to speak French the same day.
Oh, wait, I once started the Hungarian Assimil in Spain, like the method is intended, but stopped after something like three days because I'd started pronouncing Spanish with my newly-found Hungarian pronunciation.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version