za20
Germany
Joined 3991 days ago

35 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 2
25 February 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
hello everybody

To those who are interested in Turkic Languages, it is worth seeing this work. Verb Comparison in Turkic Languages (Turkish, Azeri, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Turkmen, Uyghur, Uzbek). It is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/6iami4gg48peq66/Turkic_Languag es_Verb_Comparison.pdf

Edited by za20 on 06 March 2014 at 12:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 2
25 February 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
za20 wrote:
hello everybody

To those who are interested in Turkic Languages, it is worth seeing this work. Verb Comparison in Turkic Languages (Turkish, Azeri, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Turkmen, Uyghur, Uzbek). It is here:

Turkic Languages Verb Comparison

This is basically modelled on the Turkic Swadesh list and a shortened version of Öztopçu's bare-bones lists/tables of 2000+ words in several Turkic languages that's passed off as a dictionary. It's useful for getting a sense of what the cognates are in some of these languages but its value for a learner is degraded somewhat in that it lacks usage notes and often overlooks that each Turkic language doesn't always have just one or two words that can be covered by each meaning in English.

I think that a better method for such a comparative dictionary is to arrange entries as in an etymological dictionary divided into a section for words traceable to and sorted alphabetically by Proto-Turkic reconstruction as in this database or if anyone would take a Turkic Swadesh list or Öztopçu's dictionary and add usage notes, example sentences or more words (where applicable) for each English meaning. The latter would be very ambitious and require more than just simple perusal of secondary sources to fill boxes in a table with look-alikes to imply one-to-one correspondance. If I were in charge (and if I were fluent in at least a few Turkic languages), I'd start with a standard bilingual dictionary (e.g. Redhouse's Turkish-English/English-Turkish) and then expand it to include material from more Turkic languages while adhering to the format of a typical bilingual dictionary for learners instead of making tables meant with comparative linguists in mind.
3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version