Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: German, Latin, French

Message 1 of 3
27 February 2014 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me as to the different accents present in
the Pimsleur French series.

The biggest difference I notice between the usual man and the woman are their nasal "-
in" as in "vin." Lacking the proper knowledge to describe with IPA, I will just say
that it sounds to me like the woman's "-in" is much closer to her "-ent", so her "vin"
sounds very close to, say, "vent," whereas than the man's corresponding vowels are
quite a bit further apart.

Also, I already downloaded the Pimsleur French Phase 4, so I have that to go onto next
(and eventually 5?), but what would be a good recommendation for other courses to get
into? I actually have only been doing Pimsleur simply because I wanted to work on my
pronunciation and because I was tired of intense grammar study (mostly drilling verb
forms) that I had been doing for a while. A quality course so that I don't have to put
much effort into making my own materials for a while would be welcome.   Perhaps even
some authors to get into, as I'm generally relying on my Spanish to absorb as much
French as possible for the time being. Young adult authors with available audio books
would be amazing!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 2 of 3
27 February 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
I have noticed the same thing about the difference between the man and the woman, which is most obvious when they say "vin". You did a good job describing it, but like you I have no idea about the difference. From the little I do know, the man pronounces it the way textbooks say we should.

If you are looking for something else, it would be helpful to know what else you were using when you did intense grammar study. In any case, loads of us will be recommending Assimil French. It is a good course, with lots of written and audio material to dig into.

For reading material, Le Petit Nicolas by René Goscinny is a lot of fun and not too difficult
Le Petit Nicolas

The audiobook is excellent. A bit fast in parts, but the reader really brings out the humour in the book. Makes me laugh out loud.
Le Petit Nicolas audio

Uniceros
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: German, Latin, French

Message 3 of 3
27 February 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
I actually have a couple of Le Petit Nicolas books on my shelf already! I totally forgot
about them. I have also seen computer animations on YouTube.

As far as grammar, I had simply gotten an overview of the grammar looking through a
couple of grammar reference books, and had gotten into the process of memorizing the
Bescherelle by deriving verb forms from an extended set of "principal parts" for each of
the model verbs. I figure that as far as morphology goes, verbs are the biggest hurdle
to overcome, so getting a solid set of models would be key to absorbing verbs forms as I
read.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version