Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 24
27 February 2014 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
We have time based challenges such as the 6WC, and task based challenges like the Super Challenge, but what about a learning based challenge ? Should we have a challenge that’s simply based on results ? E.g. learn 200 words, learn 100 idioms, learn 100 kanji or learn the genitive case rules.

What are your thoughts ?

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 24
27 February 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Many of the TAC team challenges seem to be like that. I think it's a good idea to have this sort of challenges for all TAC'ers or even all members. Or language-specific challenges open to all learners.

This was roughly what I had in mind when I started the consistency thread and small challenges thread, btw.

Edited by Serpent on 27 February 2014 at 5:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 24
27 February 2014 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
I was considering starting something like a 10,000 words challenge and calling it "the proficiency
challenge" (as opposed to fluency-oriented challenges), but first wanted to learn a foreign
language (by myself) to proficiency, to see what number would be enough.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 24
27 February 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
If you mean the vocabulary, then 10k is a lot but it's very hard to count objectively. And I wouldn't say the existing challenges aren't proficiency-oriented. (Not sure if you mean it like that, but proficiency is not a higher level than fluency)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 5 of 24
28 February 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
That's a good idea, DaraghM. I'm sort of thinking that since the Super Challenge starts in May, maybe we could have a one month vocabulary challenge, as a boost before we hit the books/films. What do you think? How many words can people reasonably learn in a month? For myself I was thinking maybe 300 (I currently am learning about 100/month). It could be both fun and help kick start us for the SC.

EDIT: I also like Serpent's suggestion that this sort of thing is good for TAC teams, but with the impending SC, a skill-based challenge would be cool.

Edited by Jeffers on 28 February 2014 at 12:31am

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 6 of 24
28 February 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Some of the existing challenges use the word "fluency" in the meaning of fluid, confident,
naturally paced speech/usage. One of the Wiktionary definitions of "proficiency," is
"competence". So you can't really say whether one of them is a higher level or not, as they
describe different things. Fluency (in this meaning), is how well can you use what you've got;
while proficiency, whether what you've got is sufficient for your needs/goals. I hope this doesn't
sound like hating, but it could be a (slightly more long-term) challenge for goals bigger than
being able to hold a 15 minute chat, rather being able to hold a longer conversation on a variety
of more complicated topics, reading books, watching movies, all with a high comprehension
rate. Or perhaps getting to a stage where you can just use extensive reading/listening of native
content for further improvement (which according to some studies requires 95-98%
comprehension rates). Or I might just be full of myself.
Mixing time and vocab goals might prove inconvenient, since various people learn at different
paces. For example, I learn 300 words every six days (kept this pace for over two weeks now,
can't be sure about the future though).

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 28 February 2014 at 1:22pm

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4203 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 7 of 24
01 March 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
The amount of vocabulary you pick up is rather artificial measurement. The only way you can really "demonstrate"
your fluency is by doing video recordings and posting theses on YouTube or the public domain to be evaluated by
others. Like dialog between polyglots Steve Kaufmann & Luca Lampariello and Steve Kaufmann & Felix Wang in
Brussels.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 8 of 24
01 March 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Depends what's your point, if you want to demonstrate your skills, then videos showing Anki stats
aren't going to be the most entertaining, but if you do it for yourself...

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version