24 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 24
07 March 2014 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Not everyone is at a level high enough for extensive reading, so it's the same for Tadoku.
Just have to point out that it's actually the opposite. The whole point of Tadoku is promoting extensive reading, and one of the basic ideas is that everyone should find something that is easy enough, even if it's manga or children's books. And you can set your own goal.

I think writing dialogues is a nice idea for this challenge, btw.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4131 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 18 of 24
07 March 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
I remember there being some research, indicating that comprehension (and reading being
pleasant) requires 95-98% text coverage. And finding suitable materials at earlier levels might
be problematic. Also, shouldn't the content be interesting? I thought that was one of the points of
extensive reading. After getting thorough the "Wow! I'm actually reading something in the target
language" enthusiasm phase, keeping reading children's books, or other of the kind, might not
suit everyone. Or it might be hard to find enough interesting content at the level for the reading
to be... well, extensive.
Wouldn't anyone be interested in a challenge based on something more reliable, when it comes
to predicting results? The biggest challenges I'm aware of, are TAC and the Super Challenge.
The first one being time period oriented, and the latter on amount of exposure to native content.
The results in the first one will depend on study methods and time spent studying, and the latter
on current level of the participant and the level of the content. A vocabulary based challenge's
results would mainly depend on the grammar level, and usefulness of the studied words
themselves.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 19 of 24
07 March 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
I remember there being some research, indicating that comprehension (and reading being
pleasant) requires 95-98% text coverage. And finding suitable materials at earlier levels might
be problematic. Also, shouldn't the content be interesting? I thought that was one of the points of
extensive reading. After getting thorough the "Wow! I'm actually reading something in the target
language" enthusiasm phase, keeping reading children's books, or other of the kind, might not
suit everyone. Or it might be hard to find enough interesting content at the level for the reading
to be... well, extensive.
Wouldn't anyone be interested in a challenge based on something more reliable, when it comes
to predicting results? The biggest challenges I'm aware of, are TAC and the Super Challenge.
The first one being time period oriented, and the latter on amount of exposure to native content.
The results in the first one will depend on study methods and time spent studying, and the latter
on current level of the participant and the level of the content. A vocabulary based challenge's
results would mainly depend on the grammar level, and usefulness of the studied words
themselves.

If you would like to propose such a challenge, by all means start a new thread and write your ideas. I
am sure you will be able to suggest some great ideas, and will generate a lot of useful discussion. But
please keep this thread focused on discussing how we can make use of the learning based challenge.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 24
07 March 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Prof Arguelles recommends 80%. For me 70% can be pretty comfortable, and if I really care about the content, below 50% is not impossible. And these numbers can get much more vague when related languages are involved.

Anyway, it seems like for now we're having a more customized challenge. The thing with a 10k words challenge is that even for the biggest Anki fans it's just one of the tools. The biggest "living decks" I've heard of are about 5-7k at most. And it would disrupt the natural flow of deleting and adding and possibly starting afresh.

Have you seen this thread?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 21 of 24
07 March 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
But please keep this thread focused on discussing how we can make use of the learning based challenge.

Besides Anki/vocab, I was thinking about going back to Assimil, so a lesson a day. (Or 5 lessons per week, with my schedule.) With the lighter (reading part of the) Super Challenge this time around, I was thinking of adding Italian and German to the mix. After I get through a passive wave of Assimil, I would do a month of intensive vocab (maybe 20-30 words a day for a month or two), before I jump into reading for the SC. The (short term) intensive vocab worked wonders for my Spanish reading last time around. :D

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 22 of 24
16 March 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I have just created a signup thread for this challenge.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=38354&PN=1&TPN=1

Have fun!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 23 of 24
17 March 2014 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
You can mix languages if you want (e.g. learn 50 words each in English, Esperanto, Sanskrit and Soami).

Just to clarify - how about, for example, 15 GLOSS lessons total? Like, I'm not sure how exactly I'll combine them to reach this total.
BTW it's Saami.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 24 of 24
17 March 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Quote:
You can mix languages if you want (e.g. learn 50 words each
in English, Esperanto, Sanskrit and Soami).

Just to clarify - how about, for example, 15 GLOSS lessons total? Like, I'm not sure how
exactly I'll combine them to reach this total.
BTW it's Saami.

Whoops! I'll fix my post. "15 total among x, y, z," seems like a good way to do that.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version