IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4829 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 7
28 February 2014 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Hello forum members,

I am Chayan. I am from Calcutta,India and 18 years old. From childhood, I have had a
tremendous passion to learn languages. When I was 12, I learnt Japanese from a private
tutor for a year. But I left it due to my nightmares of Kanji(!) and increasing passion
for my studies. Although, I still remember the Kana well.

Even though my mother tongue is Bengali, I speak it fairly well, but my writing and
reading skills are not good. I am low in vocabulary but I sue Bengali only to get along
with my parents and daily life. The reason is that I study in an English medium school
and all subjects are taught in English, no sign of vernacular words. Although you have
to study a secondary subject for 12 years, I did not choose Bengali, only because my
father insisted I study Hindi against my mother's wishes, who is a Bengali teacher. So
Hindi is my second language. I have studied it almost for 12 years now. My third
language in school is Bengali and I have studied it for 4 years. English is my first
language and it is the language I am most comfortable in.

Now again, my interest in devoting myself to learn languages has come back. I have
found that French is my first love and so I am learning it now. I hope I will be
successful and of be help in this forum.

Regards,
Chayan
1 person has voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4043 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 2 of 7
28 February 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Welcome, Chayan! You've come to the right place if learning languages is an interest of yours. You'll find many
passionate and opinionated learners in these forums, and so many ways of approaching languages. I've learned a
tremendous amount here, and hope you'll find posts which inspire you and enlighten you.

Much success!

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 4829 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 

Message 3 of 7
28 February 2014 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Hello Vivian,

Merci pour your encouragement!.I don't know where to start.

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4043 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 4 of 7
28 February 2014 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
linguaholic_ch wrote:
Hello Vivian,

Merci pour your encouragement!.I don't know where to start.

I understand your confusion, Chayan: these forums are so full of information, it's hard to know where to begin.

One thing I do regularly is to go to the top of the website (where the black banner is), and click on the "Forum" tab.
There you can see subheadings for "Active Topics" - "Practical Language Learning" - "Non-English Discussion
Rooms," etc.

I'll usually go into the Active Topics forum, just to see what members have been discussing recently - you can
choose how far back you'd like to see, one hour, one day, one week, and so on. Then just browse around, and read
anything interesting, and respond if you'd like.

Or, if you're looking for something in particular, like information on a particular language learning method, go into
that forum, or do a "Search" in the last tab of the black banner. I've happily wandered for hours on the different
forums and discussions, there's so much to read...

And don't hesitate to ask questions: some of the members of this forum can be very direct, but pretty much
everyone is very helpful when asked for advice or help. It'll take some time to become familiar with the different
parts of this website - and I'm still learning - but I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions. Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6217 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
01 March 2014 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
What languages are you interested in, other than French?

I am also very interested in Indic languages. I love the scripts (Devanagari, Bangla
lipi, Sinhala, etc.) are very beautiful and the cultural content these languages have to
offer. Much richer in culture compared to my own native language, I think. :)

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 4829 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 

Message 6 of 7
01 March 2014 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Hello Jiwon,

After French,I have interests in learning a few more like Spanish, Mandarin,German and
Japanese again.

I think Korea has a unique culture, lying in the middle of Japanese and Chinese
customs. Even though I detest pop music, and nowadays Korea is known for K-Pop, I like
her traditional music very much. When I watch Arirang TV, I always look for traditional
music and culture programs. The tune of Arirang is very dear to me. I also adore the
Jeongjemu court dance which I saw it on TV. Even though India has a lot to offer, you
should still love your native language and look for ways to enrich it's literature.

Anyways, how are you learning Hindi?

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6217 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 7
01 March 2014 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
I am not learning Hindi actively. The ONLY language I am learning with my heart has been
German for a long time.

I'm trying to change that now. Will enroll for a Hindi course when I finish my military
service and go back to college.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version