Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Can a Teen TEFL in China for Free/Cheap?

Tags: Teenagers | Low budget | China
 Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
J.Kaufman
United States
Joined 4301 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish, Cantonese

Message 1 of 3
02 March 2014 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I have been looking into going to China, or preferably Hong Kong, to teach English as a foreign language. I
have found a few free placement programs but all have a minimum age (usually around 23), a minimum time
to commit to teaching, and require TEFL certification and/or a Bachelor's degree. I am sixteen and still in high
school, so I would only be able to commit to two months maximum (summer break) without having to miss
school, and I do not have a Bachelor's degree or TEFL certification.
I have a little money saved up, but would really prefer a free placement program (it does not have to be paid,
but I would prefer if accommodation was provided) as most of that money would go toward paying for the
flights there and back.
Basically, I am asking if anyone knows of a free TEFL placement program in China or Hong Kong that does
not require a Bachelor's degree, prior TEFL certification (I am willing to take a TEFL certification course, but
would prefer if it was included in the placement program, or not necessary), will accept a two month
commitment, and is open to having sixteen-year-olds participate.

Thanks,

J
1 person has voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3932 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 2 of 3
02 March 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
You'll be very lucky. The degree requirements are almost always for visa/work permit purposes and therefore are pretty non-negotiable unless you don't mind breaking the law.

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4561 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
06 March 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
As I'm With Stupid said.

At 16, still at school and untrained, you won't actually be much use as a teacher.
Never mind only staying a few months. Would you want your kids to be taught Mandarin by
a 16 year old with who hasn't finished school, doesn't speak English and is untrained?
As the old saying goes, there are no free lunches in life.

If you really have to go to China before graduating from college, take this summer and
next academic year to save up and go backpacking next year. Or look into college study
abroad options. Or save up and study Mandarin for a year and you could probably pick up
some English students on the side. But this would only give you pocket money.

I wanted to do tefl straight after college graduation but couldn't even afford the
deposit. I made it to China 8 years later almost by fluke. And I had an amazing time.

So- save, save and save again. The longer you wait, the sweeter the experience will be.
Use the time to research where you want to go and what you want to see. Learn
conversational Mandarin. Maybe make pen pals you could visit.

Good luck in achieving your dream!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version