FashionPolyglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3737 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 19
02 March 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Out of all the languages you can speak, I'm sure everyone has an absolute favorite. What is your favorite language of
all time? If you have a choice to speak only 2 languages (One of your native languages & your absolute favorite),
what would they be and why?

Native Language: English

Why: Well, it's the only language I can speak at a native level. I learned English at a very young age, and appreciated
it more the older I get.

Favorite language: Brazilian Portuguese

Why: I have many reasons to learn this language. Brazil is one of my favorite countries, and I want to visit it one day.
Brazil has the biggest and greatest Carnaval. Brazil is rich in Portuguese history. Brazilians are some of the most
friendly, warmest, nicest & down to earth people I know. Brazil is rich in culture and sight-seeing locations. I love
Brazil's food, beaches & fashion. And Brazilian women are beautiful, especially the models.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 19
02 March 2014 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
English and Russian.

Be prepared for another answer tomorrow.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5703 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 19
03 March 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Only 2? In that case I can't give any other answer than this: Norwegian and English. Norwegian because it's my native language and English because... it's English. I would never want to lose that. But to give a meaningful answer to the question (by assuming I can keep those 2, and 1 other) I would probably pick Japanese over Italian because I would want something really different to broaden my thinking, and I'm more likely to actually use it. My favourite language of all time is actually Hebrew, but I have little use for it, so...

Liz

Edited by Lizzern on 03 March 2014 at 12:03am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 19
03 March 2014 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
"Native" language: Icelandic. Target language: Cantonese.

Why? Because no matter what else happens, I could at least still code-switch between Icelandic and Cantonese, and create a pidgin out of those two. And I would of course plan it so that I'd be born in Iceland.

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4483 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 5 of 19
03 March 2014 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
Native:  English

Favorite: German. Hands down. I'm in love with this language and have been since I started learning it 2 years ago.

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4456 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 19
03 March 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Native: French.

Favorite: German. That would have been different years ago, however, and who knows if it might change in 5 years.

But if I could only keep two, I would have to go with French and English, because I don't need any other in my everyday life. I'm convinced that if I had chosen to learn other languages only going from personal preferences, there are definitely a few that would have come before English. Although I am able to appreciate how it sounds at times and I had always wanted to speak it, in itself, it has never been a language that I have found particularly attractive.

I think it has just hit me, while writing this, that there is a good chance that if I had actually found it fascinating, I wouldn't have struggled so much with it in the first years I started learning it in school. It probably would have been a pleasure instead of feeling like an ordeal, lol.

Darklight1216
Diglot
Joined 4894 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 7 of 19
03 March 2014 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Native: English

This would be the second easiest language learning choice ever for me: French.

I've always loved it. As soon as I found out that adults can learn foreign languages by themselves I was always determined to learn it one way or another.

That I could potentially use it in so many countries including ones I'd really like to visit is a bonus and all of the books that have been published in French are icing on the cake.

tomgosse
Groupie
Joined 3786 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 8 of 19
03 March 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Native language:  English
Favorite target: español

Why? Spanish is the second most used language in the United States. It is the second most used language in the world. It is the number one language in the Western hemisphere.

I've always wanted to visit Mexico and Central America. Maybe I can one day.

- Tomás José

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version