Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 17 of 19
11 May 2014 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
The place I'm living the 2 official languages are English & French. Some of the job postings are bilingual in these 2
languages. Unless you work at a call centre serving other ethnic communities like the Chinese and Hispanics, French
would be the second choice.
1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3893 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 18 of 19
11 May 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Not to be a spoilsport, but it's kind of a futile exercise unless you are living in a monolingual country that happens to speak your native language.

My native language has to be Swedish, since it's the only one that is technically my native language (even though I have been speaking English for almost as long and have anglophone schooling with English as a native language coursework).

And if I could only speak one foreign language, it would have to be French. It's not my favourite (Breton is), but I live in the Republic of France, which only has one language. So do many of the Englishmen I've met there who don't speak French, of course, but they don't run a business there with all that comes with it. Of course, I'd have to start a whole different kind of business if I couldn't speak English. The other option is to speak English instead of French and move back to Scotland, but English is even less of a favourite language than French.

I can't even wrap my head around this kind of thinking because more than one foreign language is a practical necessity. Love of certain languages doesn't factor in until a few languages later.

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
GreeceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3933 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek, Greek*, EnglishC2, GermanB2, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 19
11 May 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Greek- my native- and Russian, because it's beautiful, very useful and incrediby hard for
non-natives to learn. Plus, by speaking it you get a hang of most Slavic languages!

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version