Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 49 of 104
22 March 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Mastering Arabic Script
Unit 7 (Jim, Ha, Kha)
Unit 8 (ha, ta marbuta)
Unit 9 (mim)

When I sat down with Wightwick's Mastering Arabic Script today, I discovered that I had forgotten everything I learned last time. So, I had to revise the previous lessons first. Then, I did three new chapters.
I think a fountain pen is absolutely essential when practising the cursive ruq3a script.
Usually, I write with a felt tip pen. Today, I picked up a fountain pen, filled it with blue ink and started writing. The fountain pen glided over the page and the ink flowed out forming thick strokes. Line after line. When I stopped, I had written 22 pages.

Edited by napoleon on 22 March 2014 at 10:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 50 of 104
23 March 2014 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
22 Pages!!!!!! :0000000 Wow! That's amazing! That is definitely what I need to do to get my writing more fluid. What did you write for 22 pages?

I love your graphs! :-) That's great, and it does give you some hope because probably even where you are at, your odds have jumped way up from 3%!

I am very happy so far with Mastering Arabic. The only thing I could complain about is the script they use. It jams the letters up together so that
if there is a ba and a ha next to each other, it turns into this weird squiggle, and if there are two mim's together, they just write it darker. So
I have needed the transliteration a few times to see what the letters actually are. I am pretty much completely ignoring everything they are saying
about the variations of handwriting because I am not too worried about reading handwriting right now... although if you wanted to upload another page
of yours, it would be nice to see! I promise next week I'll upload a picture of my handwriting. I am going to try posting it on Lang8, like you did.
Did you just post the picture of your handwriting there or did you type it up? I haven't bothered yet learning how to type in Arabic... I guess I'll
eventually have to figure that out, just trying to learn as much from my books as I can right now.

BTW on lang8, I'm "white rabbit."

Edited by nancydowns on 23 March 2014 at 1:15am

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4811 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 51 of 104
23 March 2014 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
22 Pages!!!!!! :0000000 Wow! That's amazing! That is definitely what I need to do to get my writing more fluid. What did you write for 22 pages?

I just practised letter shapes and words from Wightwick's book.
nancydowns wrote:

I love your graphs! :-) That's great, and it does give you some hope because probably even where you are at, your odds have jumped way up from 3%!

You are right. They're closer to 30%, now that I've done DVD 3. :-)
nancydowns wrote:

... although if you wanted to upload another page
of yours, it would be nice to see! I promise next week I'll upload a picture of my handwriting. I am going to try posting it on Lang8, like you did.

I'm going out of town for 3 days. I'll post another page as soon as I return.
nancydowns wrote:

Did you just post the picture of your handwriting there or did you type it up? I haven't bothered yet learning how to type in Arabic...

I did both.
I typed using google transliterate for arabic.
If I want to write bayt, I just type the keys b, y, abd t on my qwerty keyboard. The software then transforms my word into Arabic script.
nancydowns wrote:

BTW on lang8, I'm "white rabbit."

I'm Napoleon there too. :-) I'll add you.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4811 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 52 of 104
23 March 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
FSI MWA 5
1 person has voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 53 of 104
27 March 2014 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I am going to quit on FSI MWA for right now. I want to get a little more comfortable with the script before spending so much time on such a
difficult text. I feel like it is so far over my head with how difficult it is to read and no vowels, and I´m not ready for it yet. I
still enjoy the Mastering Arabic. I am writing some answers to questions in the book. Every time I post a link it gets disabled, so I have
a feeling a picture wouldn´t be allowed from me yet, but I could try it. Unfortunately, my script is still childish looking, but it´s
getting more fluid!

Best of luck to everyone else!
1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4811 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 54 of 104
27 March 2014 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
No worries Nancy, I'm taking a temporary break from MWA as well. I'm going to finish Wightwick's script book first. Then, I'll complete the FSI pronunciation book before I get back to MWA.
Just upload the picture. I can't wait to see it. :-)
If it doesn't work, send me a PM with the link and I'll post it for you. :-)

Edited by napoleon on 27 March 2014 at 10:58am

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 55 of 104
27 March 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
I posted a picture on my log! :-)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 56 of 104
28 March 2014 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Okay, after doing a lot of reading and some head pounding into the wall... ha! I think I have a slightly better understanding of this situation regarding the
picture I posted on my log and some missing vowels. I am going to post the corrections above the picture. The three noun cases: Nominative, Accusative, and
Genitive. When it is a definite noun, it receives one vowel, and when it is indefinite, it receives a double vowel. Nominative--damma, Accusative--Fatah,
Genetive--Kasrah. I was glad for this page for help. Hopefully it is correct!explanation of cases

I would be glad to hear if anyone else has any thoughts on this! My head feels a little funny thinking about all of this, but hopefully that's all the new synapses
that are forming! Ha!

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version