India
Joined 4775 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 73 of 104
04 April 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
Ooooh, very nice, Napoleon! She goes into the handwriting techniques a little bit in the "mastering Arabic", but I kind of ignored it for now and
am trying to write like the font. But yours looks really good, very natural looking!

Thanks Nancy.
I'm sorry if this sounds narcissistic: Yesterday, I spent a good 30 minutes staring at the page I'd uploaded earlier. Not reading. I just stared at the lines and the dots. I ran my hand over the lines and I couldn't believe I'd written it all myself. :)

nancydowns wrote:

Does it look like words to you, yet? I don't know how long it will take me before a page of Arabic doesn't just look like a bunch of squiggles
and actually starts to look like words. I keep telling myself that I am much further than I was in January! But it feels like a HUGE mountain!
But I guess I should take this mountain the same way I take a real mountain when I hike... One step at a time, and enjoy the scenery. :-)

Some do. These are words I've read and written many times over. Like hadha and hadhihi.
But, I do make mistakes. The other day, I misread bint as bayt. They look the same. Only the dots are placed differently. :)

linguaholic_ch wrote:

Wonderful Handwriting!

Thanks. :)

Edited by napoleon on 24 April 2014 at 6:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4775 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 74 of 104
06 April 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
A quick update:
I'm halfway through DVD 4 (Madinah Book 1). I learnt about adjectives and compound pronouns.
I was amazed to learn that compound pronouns are actually mudaf and mudaf ilaihi. :)
kitabuhu(his book)=kitabu + hu
kitaby(my book)=kitab + y
where kitab is the mudaf and the pronoun is the mudaf ilayhi

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3681 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 75 of 104
13 April 2014 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Just a really quick post. I found an online dictionary that allows you to put in a few arabic letters and gives you all of the
entries for those starting letters. It is vocalized. I wonder if now that I am a "Senior Member" that I can post links here, we'll
see... The dictionary is here

I haven't really used it much, except for just a couple of words to try it out. Hope it turns out to be a useful tool!

edit: YAY! My link actually worked this time. I'm not a newbie anymore! It's like a teenager getting a driver's license as a rite of passage into
adulthood. Here, when we can finally post working links, it's a rite of passage into actually being a part of the forum! :-)

Edited by nancydowns on 13 April 2014 at 3:03pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4775 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 76 of 104
13 April 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
Just a really quick post. I found an online dictionary that allows you to put in a few arabic letters and gives you all of the
entries for those starting letters. It is vocalized. I wonder if now that I am a "Senior Member" that I can post links here, we'll
see... The dictionary is here

Grat find! It's a great dictionary. Especially because it has the vowel signs.

nancydowns wrote:

...I'm not a newbie anymore! It's like a teenager getting a driver's license as a rite of passage into adulthood. Here, when we can finally post working links, it's a rite of passage into actually being a part of the forum! :-)

Yeah, it felt great when I became a senior member too. :)

Edited by napoleon on 13 April 2014 at 6:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4775 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 77 of 104
16 April 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Watched lqtoronto's DVD 04 (Madinah Book 1) and did the exercises for lesson 9 (adjectives).
P.S.
I wasn't able to access the forum yesterday. Today, I used a workaround emk had tweeted and was finally able to log in.
What a fright it has been! I have taken backups of both my language logs.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5591 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 78 of 104
21 April 2014 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Haven't been following all of this thread so apologies if this has already been posted. An invaluable site for
conjugating Arabic verbs. Also has noun declensions.

inflect arabic
4 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4775 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 79 of 104
21 April 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
Haven't been following all of this thread so apologies if this has already been posted. An invaluable site for
conjugating Arabic verbs. Also has noun declensions.

inflect arabic

Thanks. This site is going to be a great help. :)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3681 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 80 of 104
23 April 2014 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Yes, thank you stelingo! We appreciate any help!

Napoleon, I am sorry I have been neglecting this log! I haven't been a very good study partner. I just updated my log with some of the things I have recently
learned from "Mastering Arabic." I am sorry that because I am using a different book, it makes it hard for us to discuss what we are learning and to help
motivate each other! I hope you can understand that I have a personal reason for not using the Madinah program. However, I know that it is probably very good,
especially with the lecture series along with it! So the best I can do to try to be a better study partner is to tell you what I am learning from my book.

I just learned about using the lam to show possession, counting, and the accusative case.

I am anxious for the next two chapters because they teach the three letter root, broken plurals, and the past tense! Kind of exciting to be getting to the past
tense!

I will try to upload another picture of my writing sometime. I am going to try writing more as a way of recalling vocab items that I can't keep in my memory.

Hope you are doing well in your studies. How are you splitting up your time between French and Arabic? I am spending much more time on Spanish than Arabic, but
I hope once I get through the two programs I am using with Spanish that I can up my time for Arabic and using reading and listening only for Spanish.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version