Diglot
United States
Joined 5156 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 2
03 March 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I am toying around with going to Montreal or Quebec for a one week immersion and am soliciting suggestions/advice.

I have zero experience in French and would probably only do Michel Thomas Foundations (or nothing) before my trip.

I'd like to go to a French course/school for one week (3-5 hours a morning for 5 days). I have done this for Spanish and really liked it. I don't want to pay a ton of money.

My problem is that I have found reasonably priced courses ($195-$200 for a week of courses), but they ALL charge huge registration and book fees ($150+). If I were going for 4+ weeks the registration/book fees would not be a problem, but for just a week it seems kind of crazy to charge almost as much as the course itself.

Any suggestions?

1 person has voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4043 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 2 of 2
06 March 2014 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Maybe that's the reason the courses you've found are reasonably priced: because the price charged for the number
of hours of classes isn't enough to cover their expenses. Those course prices are awfully low, at least compared to
the courses I've taken in other languages. The low course price could be a way to attract students, while making up
in fees what they don't charge for the course.

I have two daughters living in Montreal, so have some idea of the cost of living there. As a general rule, from what
we've seen, Canadian prices for most things are usually higher than comparable American prices, so that makes the
low course prices even more suspicious...

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version