Netherlands
Joined 3845 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 4
06 March 2014 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Hello all!
One of the most useful resources available for free language learning are podcasts. I'm exploring quite a few, both
for my target languages learning, both for my experimentation with various other languages. I found a couple of
podcasts that I find amazing but also a lot that don't fit my learning style at all. For example, the two I really like
how are structured are
- Learn French with daily podcasts. Just amazing. 1500+ lessons and are all independent so you don't need to start
with the first to understand what is going on. The speaker read a text or playes a dialogue in French, and then, also
in French, he explains the meaning of the words.
- Learn Portuguese BrazilianPodclass. I just discovered this one and it's also great. There is a dialogue in the
beginning, then sentence per sentence all the dialogue is translated in English and repeated in Portuguese. The
same is with commands (like "repeat after me"). 400+ episodes and in the second part of the episodes it gives also
some grammar (I listened the first 5 episodes).

I don't like, for example, how Chai and Conversation works: you miss one audio and you're dead. Everytime I have to   
listen each episode 4 times and I remember one half. And there are really few episodes.

I hate even more the 3 minutes style. Sentence, translation, bye bye. Same for the various SomeLanguagePod101.
I'm for the daily podcasts, they help more to interiorize the language (at least, all of those are my personal
considerations). Do you know other podcasts that are structured like the two I listed above? Which language: ALL :D

Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by tristano on 06 March 2014 at 5:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3845 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 2 of 4
11 March 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Nothing? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5189 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 3 of 4
11 March 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I haven't used podcasts at the beginning level a lot. Many of them seem pretty shallow
(like the three-minute style you mentioned). I have used News in Slow Spanish a bit and
it's pretty good. There's also Coffee Break Spanish which is good as well but, if I
remember correctly, quite a bit of English. I think it was FrenchPod101 (and the other
___Pod101 courses) was also good. They have podcasts at each level and come with PDFs
and guides.

Before the age of podcasts there were the audio magazines which are still around and
are still good. They usually come with transcripts as well as guides with vocabulary
and grammar points. Some French ones are Bien-Dire, Champs-Elysées, and Fluent French.
For Spanish there's Veinte Mundos.

I use podcasts A LOT for listening to French. I listen to native radio programs, mostly
from France Inter and France Culture. They're good to practice with because they're
usually quite advanced (though it depends on the show) and you have no visual clues to
depend on like when watching TV.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3805 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 4 of 4
11 March 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I listen to French podcasts extensively. My favorites:

RFI Français en Facile * current fave
One thing in a French day * current fave
French, Etc mot du jour
Français Authentique, particularly the earlier ones
Native French Speech
C'est la Vie, Word of the Week * current fave! but a lot of English
Coffe Break French, but a lot of English

I also use the TuneIn Radio (website or app) to listen to talk radio stations in France and Quebec

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version