markmsb
United States
Joined 3716 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 7
07 March 2014 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I recently started using Assimil French with Ease and French without toil. The two programs seems to be really engaging and fun. Anyway, I am a beginner in French but, I have a friend who is learn French and would rate himself as B1/B2 threshold in French. His base native language is Portuguese and knows English C1 level.

He is going to travel to France is 3 months to work there for some type of finance company. My question is: would it be worth it to pick up Assimil Business French to help improve his language skills for business purposes? Also, is the information in the course still relevant to today's business terminology in France?

Thanks1
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5330 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 7
07 March 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Business French is a really nice course. It's more advanced than their Using French. Each lesson has about 5 minutes of audio, split into two parts: A relatively fast dialog between various native speakers (faster than Assimil's other French courses), and a series of questions afterwards. There's an ongoing plot featuring several young people who go to work for various French companies, and there's a bit of humor. There are also quite a few notes about the French business world, and there are suggested writing exercises. Pretty much everything is in French if I recall correctly.

Obviously the course will be missing newer business terminology, and I wouldn't be surprised if some things were outdated. But overall, if you know a B1/B2 French student who's going to be working in France soon, it's definitely worth taking a look.
4 persons have voted this message useful

markmsb
United States
Joined 3716 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 3 of 7
09 March 2014 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks,

I will tell him to get Business French. Hopefully soon he will let me borrow his copy once I get to his level in french.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4964 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 7
10 March 2014 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I second emk's words. Business French was the course that consolidated my French before I
started to consider myself at an advanced level.

There's also the course
Comment vont les affaires?
from Radio France International. It explains a lot of the business terms too.

Finally, there's French for Marketing which is truly comprehensive - it teaches much mroe
than Marketing or Communications terms. The texts are long and complete.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 5 of 7
10 March 2014 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
I like Assimil Business French too. It's advantages over the other courses are:
1) Over 3 hours of audio when silence is truncated with Audacity.
2) A single storyline.
3) Has additional related readings.
4) Consistent level - rather than some easy and some more challenging.
5) Good acting for a language learning program.
6) If you're not a grammar junkie, it's perfect, because it doesn't teach any.

It has a less humor than the other Assimil French courses, but it has a few of the funniest lines I've heard in
all of Assimil.

P.S. I picked it up because of Expugnator's recommendation in another thread. It didn't disappoint.

Edited by luke on 10 March 2014 at 7:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

markmsb
United States
Joined 3716 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 6 of 7
10 March 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Is the material more advanced than Using French is the subject matter just of a different variety?

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 7
10 March 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
The audio is mostly full-throttle. It is faster than a lot of Using French. Using French is more varied, covering
Radio, TV, Film, Litterature, idiosm, etc. Business French is pretty much all conversational dialogue.

By the way, the other French Assimil courses are about 2 hours 15 minutes with silence truncated. Business
French is 3 hours 37 minutes.

Edited by luke on 10 March 2014 at 10:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version