SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 43
11 March 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
In that case I suppose the only thing you have to do is to practice prosody, one way or the other. Most sentence structures are covered in just a page or two, and knowing where to put the stresses is important. How to practice prosody other than repeating sentences in a focused manner? I don't know.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 23 March 2014 at 10:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 43
11 March 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

The research I've been reading (focusing specifically on Japanese learners of English) generally indicates that methods based on repeating input fail to yield results. One study showed that when students recorded a list of 23 words, only 40% of the words were understood by English native speakers. You can't fix that in "minutes of practice".

In the studies, students have little understanding of sound-symbol correspondences (they can't figure out pronunciation clues from the spelling), so that their representation of the words they know often contain the wrong sounds. Even when they do know the sounds involved, they can't tell whether known words should be pronounced the same (eg. meat and meet) or differently (eg. first or hard are usually pronounced the same). The general impression I get is that students first need to learn how the spelling relates to pronunciation, then they need some awareness of how they pronounce their own language, followed by insight about how the L2 differs, not just phonetically, but phonologically. Only then can you start dealing with specific problematic words through targeted repetitions, when the students are aware of what exactly they are aiming for.

In simpler terms, if students view r and l as the same sound and you ask them to repeat words that contain those sounds, they will do so using their own phonological model, not yours. Sometimes, what we consider an error is a perfect realisation of a faulty underlying model. (The same would apply in other languages, ie. devoicing in word-final position, intervocalic consonants becoming fricatives, nasalisation of vowels, neutralization of vowels to schwa in unstressed syllables, etc.) And you can't fix the underlying model without a fair amount of knowledge about the issues I mentioned above. Personally, I don't believe that repetitions should be the basis of any pronunciation course. Similarly, shadowing is of little use (except to induce a better flow) unless the students have the required knowledge to infer the phonological model of the L2 on their own.

Sorry for the rant.

There's repeating input, and then there's repeating input. I find typical 'listen and repeat' exercises absolutely worthless, where I hear something once or twice, then try to repeat it - and banging my head against it by trying a handful of times doesn't really help. On the other hand, with several minutes listening to a phrase, followed by repeating it more and more often in chorus with the speaker, I get surprisingly decent results - I've managed to get both vowels and intonation patterns right, including ones which entirely evaded me with more typical methods. Olle Kjellin has also written that it works best in groups of seven or more, with naturally variation in each repetition, but that he uses recordings in his car alone successfully; I have no reason to doubt that the former would be more effective.

You can't fix 23 isolated words in minutes of practice. You often can fix (or greatly improve) one, or a short phrase. Not always - I spent years trying to get a properly back 'u' sound right, as you know. But I'm yet to find an intonation pattern that doesn't yield to this method of practice if I can do at least a sort-of-ok job on the phonemes. It's also crucial to note that his method calls for repeating short phrases: if your intonation is entirely accurate, small phonetic errors aren't necessarily perceived as foreign - small children aren't considered to have a foreign accent, despite mangling various phonemes, partially due to having language-appropriate intonation, which they start displaying in babbling even before they produce words. Intonation can't cover for absolutely incomprehensible phonemes, but it covers for a lot.

I find that smaller phonetic details which aren't phonemic in your target language (like aspiration, nasalization, voicing/devoicing in certain word positions, etc) tend to yield pretty easily to this method - definitely more easily than getting vowels to the point where a native speaker agrees they're exactly right. Obviously, getting them entirely right in a couple of phrases doesn't generalize to being able to get them right al the time spontaneously, but it's a step.

I fully agree with you that phonemic distinctions are important, and that phonetic awareness is very helpful. I fully agree with Olle Kjellin's writings, though, that most studies on pronunciation are reflections of it being taught badly (or not at all), rather than what is possible. I think it's worth noting that he's written about explicitly teaching phonemes people find difficult, too, and his books are full of detailed analysis of Swedish, including pitch accent analysis.

I agree with you about shadowing.
7 persons have voted this message useful

shinkarom
Diglot
Groupie
Ukraine
allthetongues.hRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4095 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*

Message 11 of 43
23 March 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Arekkusu, jeff_lidquist and Volte.
I am almost ready to by into Olle Kjellin's method (especially since even a short
repetition of a sentence at different tempos at least partly ingrained its intonation
into my head).
But I would like to know wheter are there any anecdotal evidence that there are people
using it and read their reports.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 43
24 March 2014 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Swedish accent is a 3-page thread about a Slovene woman who used the method for Swedish.
3 persons have voted this message useful

shinkarom
Diglot
Groupie
Ukraine
allthetongues.hRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4095 days ago

40 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*

Message 13 of 43
24 March 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Since I will document my progress in Polish pronunciation and prosody on its own thread,
let's stray back on the path.
Are there any other alternatives?
The more theories one knows about, the better.

namsskogan
Norway
Joined 5382 days ago

18 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: German

Message 14 of 43
28 March 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Here is a blog which describes Luca Lampariello’s method for accent reduction

How To Work on Accent Reduction

Edited by namsskogan on 28 March 2014 at 7:12pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4994 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 43
31 March 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
I was about to post about Luca's method actually. He also has a series of posts on his own blog about his "phonetic analysis" method, including videos.

Personally I've been experimenting with a combination of that and Olle's method (essentially, doing the phonetic analysis on the phrases and then doing lots of listens and repeats) for a few months, on and off. I'd say that I've seen improvements, but so far they're inconsistent and my accent is still far from good. It takes a lot of time and effort for the new habits to actually make their way into your spontaneous speech, and I'm awful at pronunciation and accent as it is so it's going to take a lot of work, so I can't yet comment on how effective the methods are. Ask me again in a year's time :).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elanguest
Malta
elanguest.com
Joined 3653 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 43
28 April 2014 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I know accentschool.com has some free lessons for English learners, then you can pay for private tutoring if you
want. They are pretty good and cover both phonetics and prosody, if I remember correctly.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version