sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5945 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 1 of 40
09 March 2014 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Why is there no Asian languages section?
Also why is the section for English so long compared to others? Is it that the English did write a lot more great books than other people?
2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4035 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 40
09 March 2014 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Are you referring too the great books page on Professor Arguelles' website? If so, it looks to me like it was never completed, but there were plans to include many other civilizations.

On a more general note about great anything lists, these can be affected by a ton of different factors such as population, economy, technology, culture, attitude towards preservation, availability to modern day list makers, continued resonance with ideas of modern list makers, etc. So disentangling why any one language has more great works than another on a list is not such a simple task.

Edited by YnEoS on 09 March 2014 at 2:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 40
09 March 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
The link is broken, but he does have an Eastern civilization list. You can see all his lists here; the links to them are broken on his page.

The contemporary concept of Great Books was shaped and embraced by several American universities from the 1920s onward. Series like "Great Books of the Western World" come from this background. Hence the skew towards English. I believe the Professor is/was gradually working on addressing this skew, bringing in far more books of similar calibre from far more civilizations, but it is a rather large task.

Edited by Volte on 09 March 2014 at 5:25am

7 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 40
09 March 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Why are they all so old? Can a book not be "great" if it was written after 1870?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 40
09 March 2014 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Why are they all so old? Can a book not be "great" if it was written after
1870?

Not to mention the Dutch books he mentioned are nigh-on impossible to read for us.
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 6 of 40
09 March 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Why are they all so old? Can a book not be "great" if it was written after 1870?

He has a 20th Century Waiting List. Tbe idea there is that historically it has taken some time (100 years) for
a book to have stood the test of time before classified as "Great".
8 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 7 of 40
09 March 2014 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Aside from the Professor's background, I would think it has to do something with Britain and the US having been and being very influential in many countries. That kind of thing involves importing your culture to all the places you assert your dominance over in one way or another. And the populace is excited to immerse in the media of a dominant country (where production values may also be better). What goes for TV and music I'm sure also goes for Great Books. I'd wager you'd come up with pretty clear results if you measured the consumption of literature originally written in English by people not living in an English-speaking country against the percentage of translated literature read by natives of English-speaking countries.

Compiling a definite literary canon of "more worthy" literature is fraught with many dangers... Personally, I don't believe it should be attempted.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 8 of 40
09 March 2014 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
This is an interesting thread. I especially liked druckfehler's approach and tarvos' commentary.

I'd just like to add a few things:

1. When I see orthographic errors in the Portuguese language section, it makes me wonder about the overall care in making the list; sorry, I'm just picky that way.

2. Every Empire since dawn of time has achieved greatness by (among other things) having and giving a high cultural image of itself: this is an advantage in the beginning, but it turns into short-sightedness, preventing adaptation; we're seeing this right now, in my humble opinion.

3. That being said, I find these lists useful: when comparing lists (why should I believe in the criteria of a single author?), there are certain books that come up often; for instance, when I see The Great Gatsby in every list, my guess is that it must be a well-written book. ;)

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version