Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4434 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 1 of 7
11 March 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering, for anyone who has used Assimil for Latin, which course do you prefer?

I have the option between the new Le Latin in French or Il latino senza sforzo which is the old Latin course translated/updated in Italian.

The main reason I'd like the Italian course over the French is because it just makes sense to me to learn Latin in Italian with an Italian speaking. I also like how there are two different pronunciations available being ecclesiastic and classical.

On the other hand, I don't know anything by Le Latin.
1 person has voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6062 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 2 of 7
12 March 2014 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sillygoose1,

I have both books. These two books are very different in content. I am currently finishing up a free online course that uses the version written by Clement Desessard (Il Latino Senza Sforzo) which was originally written in 1966 in French. Le Latin is mostly focused on colloquial dialogues and I don't find it to be quite as useful to get to a high level of Latin quickly.

In the Desessard book we are currently on Lectio 83 (out of 101) and are reading excerpts from Plautus' Aulularia which is quite interesting.

If you have interest in the online course you can check out the course website (http://avitus.alcuinus.net/schola_latina/ratio.php). The Schola offers 3 courses: Sermo 1 (the first half of the book), Sermo 2 (the second half of the book) or Sermo 1/2 (the whole book). Those who take the Sermo 1 and Sermo 2 classes spend 3 days per lesson going through the book but it takes two years to get through it. The Sermo 1/2 course covers 2 days per lesson and you complete it in about 7 months.

The Schola classes provide you with an English translation of each episode, lesson notes, and an audio file for the Exercitatio which are not recorded on the Assimil CDs. There are homework assignments and 4 Probatio (exams) but they are well worth the time.

I found out about this course after I had purchased the book last year but signed up in August for the September course start. From there, I have been studying hard but learning a lot.

If you have any other questions about either book or the course, let me know.

Macte Virtute!

Jon
4 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4434 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 3 of 7
12 March 2014 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Wow that course sounds awesome. I remember hearing about that awhile ago but forgot all about it.

Would you say it's worth going through both books? I mean, I know no one really speaks Latin anymore so colloquial dialogues may or may not help, but did you find that it helped you, Le Latin, in reading actual texts?

Edited by sillygoose1 on 12 March 2014 at 2:04pm

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6062 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 

Message 4 of 7
12 March 2014 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I haven't gone through all of Le Latin yet since Il Latino Senza Sforzo is quite time consuming but I hope to go through it after I complete the course through the Schola so that I can improve some of my colloquial capabilities to better use the Schola.ning.com website for chatting in Latin.

Le Latin is pretty good in this respect and reminds me of Erasmus' Colloquia Familiaria which was used for many years to teach students colloquial Latin.

I highly recommend the Schola course if you can because the lessons in the Assimil book are not always intuitive and on top of that, there are many typographical letters in the Italian version of the book. The French version is very clean and there is also a German version that was recently published. The German version was proofread and edited by the head of the Schola for Assimil so that copy is exceptionally accurate; however, I don't speak German so I fumble through with the Italian copy and update all the typos that are reported to us for each lesson.

Let me know if you have any other questions as I am more than happy to help.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5363 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 7
13 March 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
If anyone is interest, Joe Klomparens has done the equivalent of the first 10 lessons of
Pimsleur as a course in Latin:

http://50percentlatin.blogspot.com.au/p/conversation-latin.h tml
3 persons have voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6062 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 

Message 6 of 7
13 March 2014 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the excellent link, Elexi.

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5206 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 7 of 7
14 March 2014 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Say Something in Welsh also offers a Latin course. There's only two lessons at the present but more to come. If the results are on par with the Welsh course, it is well worth trying.

Say Something in Latin

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version