16 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 16
12 March 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Here's an example study plan for Assimil. As it says, you don't have to do all the steps, especially for every single lesson.
2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4052 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 16
12 March 2014 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
markmsb wrote:
Often times so far my listening comprehension has really gone up with each listen and I know what each word and sentence means when said, but when it is time to produce the language on my own I have to think before I talk for a long time. Would you say this is normal for someone only on lesson 18 or so?

I have less experience in the area of developing active skills than others on this board so they might advise you better than I can, if that's a major concern of yours.

But in general I would say that sounds completely normal for a passive wave. In my experience active skills can lag significantly behind your passive understanding unless you specifically develop them. If you're planning on using the course as prescribed (passive wave, then active wave) and have no immediate need to develop active skills earlier than usual, then I would say you're probably doing fine.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3805 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 11 of 16
12 March 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
markmsb wrote:

French without out toil does seems to have very intensive exercises from what I have seen. I like that they
are included to the degree that they are in this course.

thanks

I just finished the first wave of FWT about two weeks ago., and am still on the second wave. I found the
supplemental exercises intensive, but worthwhile and have been doing them again on the second wave.

markmsb
United States
Joined 3716 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 12 of 16
13 March 2014 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
Thanks again everyone. All of your advice has been very helpful.

Mohave. If you could lend your experience. If you have already, at what point in your studies with assimil did you really start to be able to develop sentences in thought without having to translate through your mind in English?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5363 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 13 of 16
13 March 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I am sure many will disagree, but in my opinion developing 'sentences in thought
without having to translate through your mind in English' is much more than Assimil, or
any language course, can provide. Even if you take the boot camp approach to Assimil
that you are taking (which I personally think is probably the best approach rather than
their own 'with ease' approach) you are unlikely to start producing and thinking in the
target language. That skill takes real people, real interaction and developing
immediate response reactions. Even then you have to think things through in your own
language at times and make horrendous mistakes that you kick yourself over after the
conversation.

One thing you can do is start to incorporate Boris Shekhtman's ideas early - they
described in brief here - http://andrewblackman.net/2013/04/how-to-improve-your-
foreign-language-immediately/ Although this summary is no substitute for buying Mr
Shekhtman's book. Even if you are role playing your 'islands' with yourself - and some
phrases are lifted out of your Assimil - you can begin to develop your more automatic
responses for real conversation and thus get a step closer to the language. The key, I
have found, is to start with basic every day scenarios and work upwards.

I have recently spent quite a bit of time looking after 4 and 5 year olds (i.e. baby
sitting for friends) - the age when children are becoming fully independent - and it is
noticeable that they instinctively role play conversations with themselves whilst
playing - and at the same time developing their language usage.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 16
13 March 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
Even if you take the boot camp approach to Assimil that you are taking (which I personally think is probably the best approach rather than their own 'with ease' approach) you are unlikely to start producing and thinking in the target language. That skill takes real people, real interaction and developing immediate response reactions. Even then you have to think things through in your own language at times and make horrendous mistakes that you kick yourself over after the conversation.

No, that's what happens if you don't get enough input (especially audio). Assimil is actually great for, well, assimilating the language and at least understanding it without translating. And when you can do that, thinking in the language gets easier too. But I myself avoid translation exercises because of this issue, including those in Assimil.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5363 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 15 of 16
14 March 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
One thing to add to my post above - One method I use for activating input from courses
like Assimil is to use the self-dialogue method every time I come home from work, or go
to the local shop to buy, say milk or a beer.

So I might say in the target language:

Where are you going?

I am going to the grocery shop to buy some milk and some beer.

Where is the local grocery shop

Its straight down this street and then left at the junction...

What brand of beer do you normally buy?

I look to see what is on special off

etc. (I am not an alcoholic, honest!)

When I do this regularly, all the words and phrases I get from Assimil, etc will
suddenly jump into my head to be used in the self conversation. Natuarlly, there will
be words that I don't know in the target language or idioms or grammatical
constructions that I don't know how to communicate - so I make a mental note of these
and look them up. That way I find my gaps (which are always so large) get smaller as
time goes on.

I admit its not a way to learn a language to the level of being able to re-write War
and Peace, but I find it good training for real conversation.
3 persons have voted this message useful

markmsb
United States
Joined 3716 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 16 of 16
15 March 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
The self dialogue approach I believe could be a great approach to activate the language. Although, just do it in the privacy of your own home so no one will think you are going crazy. haha.

But, seriously. Maybe I am expecting too much from myself after only or so 20 lessons of assimil. I was expecting to converse and talk in complete sentences already without effort. I think I just need to sit back and enjoy the process of learning. The production will come in time.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version