Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 25 of 40
15 March 2014 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Moving swiftly on, I'd like to steal Jeffers' idea, and inject some of those unlimited
funds into the Say Something in ... organisation. I think they have a great method, and
they've been able to prove it works in Welsh. They have started courses in other
languages, but they are not yet as well developed. If a cash injection would help speed
up the process, it would be a good thing, and of course, I'd road test some of the
courses: Dutch, which I've studied before, but never really learned to speak and Spanish,
which I have spoken quite a lot, but not with particular confidence or fluidity. I also
found listening comprehension a challenge in Spanish. I don't know whether SSi has yet
focused on that sufficiently. I believe thay have ideas about it and aim to provide more
over time, but we will have to see.
1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 40
15 March 2014 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Nobody else wants to go to the best multilanguage bookstores in the world, and buy...

EVERYTHING!

Maybe buy the bookstore too. Set up your own language learning center with all the books and movies and courses you can fit into one building - or two buildings - or however many you need!

Sure, I would travel the world, too, but when the unlimited funds year is finished, wouldn't you like to have your own super amazing mega-library to keep you and your HTLAL friends busy for a long time??

Of course you'd share with the rest of us, right?
9 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 40
15 March 2014 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Only if you introduce a tag for illegal file sharing :)

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 28 of 40
15 March 2014 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
She has unlimited funds. She can set us up in nice accomodation right next to the library. Or inside.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 40
15 March 2014 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
The funds are unlimited just for a year. After that the tag is needed :D

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 30 of 40
15 March 2014 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
Nobody else wants to go to the best multilanguage bookstores in the world, and
buy...

EVERYTHING!

Maybe buy the bookstore too. Set up your own language learning center with all the books and movies and
courses you can fit into one building - or two buildings - or however many you need!

Sure, I would travel the world, too, but when the unlimited funds year is finished, wouldn't you like to have
your own super amazing mega-library to keep you and your HTLAL friends busy for a long time??

Of course you'd share with the rest of us, right?

In the realisation that I have quite literally metres of books in and about Russian, but that this has not made
its way into my head, I was thinking more of efficient ways of actually learning languages :-)

AML
United States
Joined 6619 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 31 of 40
15 March 2014 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
oldearth wrote:
I don't think you guys are thinking big enough here. Having an extended stay in a rural village (in China, for example) is cheap enough that most westerners could achieve it financially
if their social obligations (career, family) could be put on hold.

It's hard to find a true immersive environment anywhere when you are native in English. I would create the perfect environment. Here's the ultimate Spanish adventure I would take with unlimited funds.

1. Buy/charter a luxury yacht crewed by physically attractive and interesting L2 monolinguals as deck hands, chefs, physical trainers and language tutors.
2. For this year, I do not want regular internet access because I know I am not disciplined enough to avoid English language internet sites. So I will spend a few thousand dollars buying up all the L2
media I might want to use to study, read for pleasure, or pass time during my voyage before departing.
3. Sail along the Pacific coast of North America from Mexico down South America, or possibly the reverse direction depending on weather considerations that I'm not expert in. During sea travel I will
study, train with the tutor(s), and watch media. Drink margaritas. Flirt inappropriately with my crew.
4. Dock for days or weeks at a time to explore all the interesting stuff along the coast, but never stay in one area for too long. Optionally arrange for my ship to rendezvous with me at a later
date/time/place if something catches my interest requiring significant overland travel.

This is the only correct answer. Everyone else can stop responding.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4452 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 32 of 40
28 April 2014 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Mexico would be my home base. I would have constant interaction with the locals. I would go and see every museum, jungle, waterfall, ruins, beach, artist hangout and outdoor coffe shop I could find. I would then try the same with adventures in Ecuador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Columbia, Argentina and Chile. It would be great.

As close as I am coming to that dream right now is mexican food for lunch. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version