22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 22
20 March 2014 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Depends on how new is new. For example, French and German are related to your other languages, and as a European you must've had quite a bit of exposure to these languages and cultures. TBH I do think that starting Mandarin and Persian at the same time is a bit too much. On the other hand, if you started for example Spanish or Romanian now, I don't think it would be bad for your French.

Can you clarify the difference between your question and the OP's? The title is a bit misleading, as iguanamon pointed out - here we normally use the word maintain in a very specific sense. To me it does seem like both of you are asking about creating a good study plan.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3833 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 10 of 22
20 March 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
I have to admit that it is quite overwhelming study both Mandarin and Persian, most of all because they're not the
only ones I'm studying. Indeed after two weeks I decided to limit Mandarin to hanzi memorisation for this year, and
still I didn't find my balance with Persian.
After, I am studying French in classes and I am in the low intermediate level, but I didn't start it from scratch. It is
little time taking because I train it in my workplace with my French colleagues.
I'm studying German with Duolingo and that helps me a lot because of the nature of the software itself. My plan is to
finish Duolingo and after start spoken methods.

I didn't start studying Spanish this year because I thought was bad for my French, possibly I made an error here.

The difference between my post the the OP's one is subtle, at least in my intentions. Probably in the realisation there
is no difference.
1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4802 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 22
25 March 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Serpent wrote:

In general I don't think you should drop any of your languages. I'd say it's actually easier to manage 5-7 than 2-3, since if you're learning less than four languages, one will tend to dominate, to the point of excluding the others.

I somehow missed this gem (well, not somehow, it's just my survival instinct to avoid certain posters), but it's nonsensical statements like the above one that make me wonder, I mean really really wonder...

It has been my experience that even if you have all day, it is extremely difficult to study two languages at the same time, let alone five. Heck, it's hard to juggle two courses in the same language. :)
The average Joe, who barely speaks two languages, is dreaming when he talks about maintaining 5 languages.
Take it from me, I have no trouble maintaining my three good languages. I don't think maintaining five would be very different. We have Iversen who maintains a veritable babble of languages, without even breaking a sweat. :)
As long as you can get TV shows and films in your languages, it's easy. Just have fun. Watch a movie. Read a novel.
Learning a language to a level that you're able to do these things is what's difficult. :)
(I'm not referring to the OP, BTW. I'm sure he'll have success with learning several languages in parallel.)
@lingoleng: It doesn't hurt to be polite. Just because this is online and some of us have the benefit of anonimity doesn't mean that we can't be civil to each other.

Edited by napoleon on 25 March 2014 at 5:26am

3 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5084 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 12 of 22
25 March 2014 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:

Take it from me, I have no trouble maintaining my three good languages.

Your native language is Bengali and you keep your Hindi and English alive and kicking? Congratulations! How would you try to avoid that? That would be an interesting post, for a change ...

Edited by lingoleng on 25 March 2014 at 4:39am

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4802 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 13 of 22
25 March 2014 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
napoleon wrote:

Take it from me, I have no trouble maintaining my three good languages.

Your native language is Bengali and you keep your Hindi and English alive and kicking? Congratulations! How would you try to avoid that? That would make an interesting post, for a change ...

Indeed. :)
As I said, if you know your languages well enough, maintaining them is like breathing. You can't avoid it. That's the point, I was trying to make. :)
In any case, your reply was refreshingly rude, like before.
I'd rather not continue this particular discussion because I have a life.
I suggest you get one. :)
I'm signing off.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 22
25 March 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
It has been my experience that even if you have all day, it is extremely difficult to study two languages at the same time, let alone five. Heck, it's hard to juggle two courses in the same language. :)

Are you being ironic here? Plenty of people have found it hard to study the same language all day, to devote more than, say, 2 hours a day to language learning.

I still stand by what I said. When you have "only" 2-3 languages, reducing this to one is within reach, and you're bound to be considering this every now and then. There are so many specific strategies you can choose, rather than basically just two options - Iversen style and Prof Argüelles style. When you're learning 5-7 languages, dropping all but one is just not an option, and you're far more likely to actually stick to the strategy you choose. Especially if some of your languages are related, taking short-term breaks doesn't mean dropping the language, as it's much easier to incorporate it back into your study plan.

From what I see here, those studying 1-3 languages are much more likely to grasshopper, either keeping the same main language and picking up/dropping secondary languages, or not even keeping the main language. (there are definitely counter-examples, like emk or kujichagulia) Those who are already learning 5 or more seem to be much less likely to drop/give up, other than the way Chung can "stop" learning languages when he's done with the resources he has and knows most of the grammar.

Quote:
As long as you can get TV shows and films in your languages, it's easy. Just have fun. Watch a movie. Read a novel.
Learning a language to a level that you're able to do these things is what's difficult. :)

You can do it from the beginning. Use various reading strategies, try LR, take advantage of content with visual clues, use semi-native materials like GLOSS and lyricstraining :P

Edited by Serpent on 25 March 2014 at 2:30pm

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5084 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 15 of 22
25 March 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
   use semi-native materials like ... lyricstraining :P

Don't waste your precious study time on game sites like lyricstraining.
And seven languages are, in general, not easier to learn than two. Claiming such things is part of a private philosophy that should not be the guideline of any advice for a general public. You can have any post that questions such nonsense deleted as often as you want, that does not make it more reasonable.

Edited by lingoleng on 25 March 2014 at 2:52pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 16 of 22
25 March 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
I didn't even see your post before it was deleted, only as a quote. I think I've reported only one post by you recently.

Where did I say it's easier to learn, as opposed to easier to manage? Surely if you want to learn two, you'll have an easier time than someone who wants to learn seven. But if you want to learn seven it's not very productive to keep changing them in an attempt to choose just two, especially if some of them are related and you don't mind focusing on the passive skills in the beginning.

Also great job ignoring my repeated clarifications. Of course lyricstraining shouldn't be your main resource unless understanding music is your main goal. But it's a great thing to do when you've had too much of other things, especially when you're a beginner and can't use other truly native resources yet.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version