Joined 3858 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 14
17 March 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Hello all. After less than three months since when
I decided to commit myself in languages I have to
recognize that time management is my weakness.

I am used to have hard and inconsistent schedules
with frequent burnouts. Good news is I see the
results when I work hard on one language.

Bad news is: a simple change of habits (going at
work with the bike instead the tram) can be fatal
and difficult to recover.

In particular there are activities that require an
incredible amount of time (like creating
flashcards) that make me really lazy with that
language (in my case, mandarin).

Considering that I work fulltime and I can only
study before and after the work, and I have one
language which I am intermediate (but I have
classes for that one) and three new, how can be a
smart way to use my 30-to-120 minutes a day?
- dividing time in equal parts
- a day for language
- depend from the languages (intermediate: french.,
new: Persian, Mandarin, German)
- others...?

Thank you very much in advance!
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4658 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 2 of 14
18 March 2014 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Everybody is different, but I found that for me, dividing my time each day among both languages I'm learning was better than having a whole day for one language, then switching to the other language the next day. I found that having contact with each of my languages daily - even if for as little as 15 minutes - makes a big difference for me.

As for how to divide your time, I think it depends on the activities you do. I'm a beginner in Portuguese but intermediate in Japanese. I do a multi-track approach for both, meaning I do a variety of activities. So I simply divide my time 50-50, make a list of the activities I want to do for each language, then do them by rotation. If that means you only have 15 minutes a day for Persian, so be it. But if you have a lot of things you want to do for French, but maybe just one or two activities for Mandarin, for example, maybe you want to dedicate more of your time to French. It's up to you.

As for creating flashcards, I find that I don't burn out if I put a limit on the amount of flashcards I create per day. I adjust it depending on the time of the year and how busy I am, or how much I feel like making flashcards, but right now my limit is 5 (although I haven't hit 5 in a day for a while). Even if I have more flashcards to make, I leave them until the next day. That way, you don't feel that creating them takes a lot of time. In fact, sometimes you feel like, "Man, I really want to go over my limit and make a few more cards... be strong, be strong... yeah, only five today. Wait until tomorrow." If your limit leaves you wanting to make more flashcards, then it's probably a good limit.

Lastly, about habit-changing... you mentioned taking the bike instead of the tram. A huge chunk of my study time is on the train. But when the train is delayed, or I can't sit in a chair, or it's more crowded than usual, or if it's a work holiday, or in your case, you take the bike instead of the tram... whatever it is, I find that it's a good idea to have a Plan B - something easy you can do in that situation, instead of your usual schedule. For example, if the train is really loud or crowded, and I can't study from my Portuguese textbook, I'll just put my headphones on and listen to some music in Portuguese. Don't be afraid to step back from your schedule when you have to, or even if you need to take a break from it, to prevent burnout.

Edited by kujichagulia on 18 March 2014 at 2:40am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 14
18 March 2014 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Hi! There's a thread exactly about this.
The wikia article describes the options you have, but basically the smartest one is the one you'll actually use. A perfect schedule is useless if it only exists on paper but not in reality. Experimenting is the key.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 14
18 March 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
I have a number of languages to deal with plus a repertoire of standard activities, which can be more or less tiring and more or less sensititve to outside disturbances. And I have a notestand and a table with dictionaries etc. near my armchair for my weakest languages - but all of my dictionaries and grammars are within a couple of meters from both my armchair base and my computer base. Laziness is a factor to be reckoned with! And then I have of course the outer world which for instance consists of positive things like the available programs on my television and negative things like the amount of noise produced by my irritating neighbour.

So basically I don't start out in the evening with a plan for things I must do, but I check the TV programs, and if there is something I absolutely must see then I'll do something easy which only requires a pen and some paper. If not, then I can start a computer and do some listening - the only problem is of course that I more often than not find something to watch on TV. But basically I know that I have to spend time on wordlists, copying/retranslation, free reading, listening and all the other activities in all of my languages on a regular basis, and the longer it is since I for instance did wordlists in Irish the more likely it is that I choose to do .. well, wordlists in Irish. In that way I have an ultra flexible study plan, but I still manage to get around my languages on a regular basis and also to do a variety of standardized activities in each language.

Besides I always have an assortment of magazines, printouts or thin books plus some random dictionaries in my bag, so when I go by bus to my job I read a newspaper, but on the way back I mostly manage to squeeze in 20-20 minutes of reading - which I then duly report in my log thread. As Kujichagulia observes buses sometimes are crowded, and there may be noise, but so far I haven't got any alternative MP3 listening organized for such situations - on that point many other learners are ahead of me.

The general rule for me is always to have many possible things to do, including some that can be done even in crowded and noisy places, and then I choose in the same way as I would choose from a wellstocked buffet table in a restaurant. And no, I can't see the point in keeping track of the minutes I spend. How do you compare half an hour spend on a hard and intensive activity in a new target language to relaxed reading in a wellknown language with the TV blaring in the background?

Edited by Iversen on 19 March 2014 at 10:53am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4977 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 14
19 March 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I second Iversen's opinion on having many possible things to do. I need stuff I can do
only listening for - for when I'm busy at repetitive tasks; if at a given day I know I'll
have to wait - taking a bus, which I don't usually do, or waiting for an appointment at
the doctor's - then I schedule my reading stuff to be done at this time. If I have idle
times and an internet connection but no computer, I can study through the apps I normaly
use, such as Memrise and Duolingo.

I study about 7 languages daily and I rotate activities within a day. I read a textbook
then a novel in Georgian then I watch a video and listen to a podcast in Chinese, for
example. I prefer to leave my quality time - the beginning of my routine, for example,
for more time-consuming tasks, such as the textbook study. Others like extensive video
watching can be done almost anytime.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3858 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 6 of 14
19 March 2014 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Everybody is different, but I found that for me, dividing my time each day among both
languages I'm learning was better than having a whole day for one language, then switching to the other language
the next day. I found that having contact with each of my languages daily - even if for as little as 15 minutes -
makes a big difference for me.

As for how to divide your time, I think it depends on the activities you do. I'm a beginner in Portuguese but
intermediate in Japanese. I do a multi-track approach for both, meaning I do a variety of activities. So I simply
divide my time 50-50, make a list of the activities I want to do for each language, then do them by rotation. If that
means you only have 15 minutes a day for Persian, so be it. But if you have a lot of things you want to do for
French, but maybe just one or two activities for Mandarin, for example, maybe you want to dedicate more of your
time to French. It's up to you.

As for creating flashcards, I find that I don't burn out if I put a limit on the amount of flashcards I create per day. I
adjust it depending on the time of the year and how busy I am, or how much I feel like making flashcards, but right
now my limit is 5 (although I haven't hit 5 in a day for a while). Even if I have more flashcards to make, I leave them
until the next day. That way, you don't feel that creating them takes a lot of time. In fact, sometimes you feel like,
"Man, I really want to go over my limit and make a few more cards... be strong, be strong... yeah, only five
today. Wait until tomorrow." If your limit leaves you wanting to make more flashcards, then it's probably a
good limit.

Lastly, about habit-changing... you mentioned taking the bike instead of the tram. A huge chunk of my study time
is on the train. But when the train is delayed, or I can't sit in a chair, or it's more crowded than usual, or if it's a
work holiday, or in your case, you take the bike instead of the tram... whatever it is, I find that it's a good idea to
have a Plan B - something easy you can do in that situation, instead of your usual schedule. For example, if the
train is really loud or crowded, and I can't study from my Portuguese textbook, I'll just put my headphones on and
listen to some music in Portuguese. Don't be afraid to step back from your schedule when you have to, or even if
you need to take a break from it, to prevent burnout.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. Here the beautiful thing is that a lot of successful learner have different
habits, the bad news is that it doesn't exist a one size fits all. But in any case is really enlightening to read you all
and compare your experiencing with mine and see if I can recognise myself particularly in someone.
Here you communicated me something important a gave me a lot of practical advices. I admit it, when I feel the
pleasure particularly with one language I tend to overdo and overlook the others. So basically it is really important
that I fix an upper limit, other than a lower limit. Just a question, how do you divide your learning process in
activities?
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3858 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 7 of 14
19 March 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have a number of languages to deal with plus a repertoire of standard activities, which can be
more or less tiring and more or less sensititve to outside disturbances. And I have a notestand and a table with
dictionaries etc. near my armchair for my weakest languages - but all of my dictionaries and grammars are within a
couple of meters from both my armchair base and my computer base. Laziness is a factor to be reckoned with! And
then I have of course the outer world which for instance consists of positive things like the available programs on my
television and negative things like the amount of noise produced by my irritating neighbour.

So basically I don't start out in the evening with a plan for things I must do, but I check the TV programs, and if
there is something I absolutely must see then I'll do something easy which only requires a pen and some paper. If
not, then I can start a computer and do some listening - the only problem is of course that I more often than not
find something to watch on TV. But basically I know that I have to spend time on wordlists, copying/retranslation,
free reading, listening and all the other activities in all of my languages on a regular basis, and the longer it is since I
for instance did wordlists in Irish the more likely it is that I choose to do .. well, wordlists in Irish. In that way I have
an ultra flexible study plan, but I still manage to get around my languages on a regular basis and also to do a variety
of standardized activities in each language.

Besides I always have an assortment of magazines, printouts or thin books plus some random dictionaries in my bag,
so when I go by bus to my job I read a newspaper, but on the way back I mostly manage to squeeze in 20-20
minutes of reading - which I then duly report in my log thread. As Kujichagulia observes buses sometimes are
crowded, and there may be noise, but so far I haven't got any alternative MP3 listening organized for such situations
- on that point many other learners are ahead of me.

The general rule for me is always to have many possible things to do, including some that can be done even in
crowded and noisy places, and then I choose in the same way as I would choose from a wellstocked buffet table in a
restaurant. And no, I can't see the point in keeping track of the minutes I spend. How do you compare half an hour
spend on a hard and intensive activity in a new target language to relaxed reading in a wellknown language with the
TV blaring in the background?

Hi!
"Many possible things to do" + some standard activities. You are in a school of thought the doesn't like to log the
time; I read people suggesting to assign different points to different activities (if I'm not wrong, also Benny the irish
polyglot suggests that). Maybe these two visions are not so separated. Anyway, I still haven't decided if logging time
is for me or not, but at least can give me a number while logging skills can be more difficult... But in any case, I
never thought about the "many possible things to do": I already did something like that but I had the impression that
I was not following a plan so it gave me an idea of inefficiency (most probably my professional career doesn't help
me hehehe). Is it for you optimising the learning process a priority or is it not? Or at least: I think you optimised your
learning process several years ago, was it a priority or it just came? how do you assure yourself that you're keeping
learning fairly quickly (another time, is it a priority for you the learning speed?)
Thank you for the answer!

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3858 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 8 of 14
20 March 2014 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I second Iversen's opinion on having many possible things to do. I need stuff I can do
only listening for - for when I'm busy at repetitive tasks; if at a given day I know I'll
have to wait - taking a bus, which I don't usually do, or waiting for an appointment at
the doctor's - then I schedule my reading stuff to be done at this time. If I have idle
times and an internet connection but no computer, I can study through the apps I normaly
use, such as Memrise and Duolingo.

I study about 7 languages daily and I rotate activities within a day. I read a textbook
then a novel in Georgian then I watch a video and listen to a podcast in Chinese, for
example. I prefer to leave my quality time - the beginning of my routine, for example,
for more time-consuming tasks, such as the textbook study. Others like extensive video
watching can be done almost anytime.

Hi, thanks :) I read some page of your log, it is impressive what you do! I am really time boxed so that is why my
obsession to eliminate slow activities and optimise the learning process. what are in your opinion the worst errors
that can be done while allocating time for language study?

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version