Groupie
Poland
Joined 4311 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*

Message 1 of 7
18 March 2014 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I'm looking for Russian grammar with exercises. The key requirement is the key with answers as it's going to be for self-studying. Levels: beginner and intermediate.

Just to give you an example of a grammar book I liked: Gramática activa 1 and 2 (português). It's completely in Portuguese (an asset to me). It's divided into units of which every one covers some topic. A unit is composed of two parts: on one page there is theoretical background with examples, on the other exercises (accompanied by the key at the end of the book).

I'd also appreciate suggestions of grammars with audio (if there are such). A comment on what you like or don't about the publication would also be nice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 7
19 March 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
If you want just a textbook/workbook based on grammar and without dialogues (or audio) but answer keys, then Schaum's Outline of Russian Grammar could be good although I'm not sure how much shipping would be to Poland even though the book itself is quite cheap.

I haven't used it although I got a copy some time ago because it was cheap and just in case I ever wanted to study the language. I have used "Schaum's Outline of German Grammar" to prepare for German exams and quite liked the no-nonsense presentation and targeted exercises which allowed me to focus on weak points in my understanding of German grammar. As I compare the Russian volume of Schaum's Outlines with the German one, I'm pretty confident that anyone who's not afraid of grammar study would get a lot out of it.
5 persons have voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4988 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 3 of 7
19 March 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
At the risk of sounding obvious: New Penguin Russian Course by Nicholas J. Brown. It does have grammar, it does have exercises, it's not all in Russian, it doesn't have audio. It is thorough, high quality, and one of the most popular and successful modern book courses. 9/10 from me.

A lot of the big-name courses are audio-based. Assimil, Pimsleur, Michel Thomas etc. They have their uses. If you prefer the grammar-first approach, and why not, there are numerous course books. The ones I know are Zhyli-Byli (which we use in class) and Oxford Take Off in Russian. Zhyli-Byli is a coursebook and an exercise book. The examples are kind of silly, but the exercises are numerous, with plenty of blanks to fill in. Well, I'd give it 7/10.

You could also download the free Princeton SLA101 course here, which takes the form of pdfs and (optional) mp3s. Each chapter starts with a dialogue, then numerous grammar explanations, then exercises. The content is quite goofy and American-centric, but the quantity and quality of exercises is hard to ignore. Maybe 7.5/10.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4514 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
20 March 2014 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
chokofingrz wrote:
At the risk of sounding obvious: New Penguin Russian Course by Nicholas J. Brown. It does have grammar, it does have exercises, it's not all in Russian, it doesn't have audio. It is thorough, high quality, and one of the most popular and successful modern book courses. 9/10 from me.

I second that, as always =P

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5133 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 7
20 March 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
The only Russian grammar book I have found so far which does not make me go crazy is " Teach yourself
Russian Grammar". It has very short, focused chapters, and you can do a grammar problem in 20 minutes. I
would have preferred a lot more exercises for each chapter but I compensate by making up my own based on
the examples in the book.

It also has the theory on one page and the exercises on the page next to it, plus the key at the end of the
book.

It is a sort of "Russian grammar for dummies" which suits me just fine :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 20 March 2014 at 6:43am

umiak
Groupie
Poland
Joined 4311 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*

Message 6 of 7
21 March 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your contributions. I'm interested in grammar books mainly, because I've already sort of got course textbooks.

If someone is aware of an audio grammar course, I'd appreciate it if they could drop me a line. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I'll quote the book I used while studying English: A Practical English Grammar: Structure Drills Thomson & Martinet. The book comes in two volumes accompanied by 10 cassettes (5 per volume). There is an answer key. The recordings usually cover only the first half of the exercises, but usually you can do the rest on your own. The book covers most of the English grammatical structures you need to use the language.

@Chung: I've checked with Amazon, and you can also buy the digital version of the book and download it onto your e-reader device, which I think you could print out later on. That would solve the problem of shipment for me.

@Chokofingrz: the Princeton course looks interesting; it's a pity it doesn't have answers, but I'm going to download the first part of it and have a look at it.

@Cristin: the publication seems to be quite similar to the Portuguese one I referred to in my original post. I'm going to have a look at it.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4438 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 7 of 7
21 March 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
If you want a really thorough grammar exercise book I can recommend A Russian Grammar Workbook by Richard Wade. I guess it is more intermediate to advanced, and it is best to use it in conjunction with A comprehensive Russian Grammar by the same author, as the workbook itself does not give you detailed grammar explanations. The workbook is about 250 pages, including the keys to all exercises. You can have a "look inside" on the Amazon website to see how it is structured and examples of exercises.

If you can buy via one of the European amazon sites, like amazon.de or amazon.fr, you might pay less for shipping than if you buy from the .com site. On amazon.fr, the workbook is at 39 euros, and the grammar at 28 euros. I think the shipping cost to Poland would be about 12-15 euros. True, it is not the cheapest book on the market, but the quality is very good and it is worth the money in my opinion.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version