leosmith
United States
Joined 6332 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 17 of 39
01 March 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Can someone give me the link to the post where Ardaschir describes the method he touches upon here? I've dug into his huge list of posts, but haven't located it. I figure somebody here will know exactly where it is.
Thanks!

Ardaschir wrote:
Czech, I am very sorry for the delayed response. You can start with a paragraph, or even a sentence, at a time, and work up to a chapter and then a whole book. As I wrote before, eventually you should read the translation and then rest for a while before reading the original to strenthen your memory. Initially, however, you should read the translated paragaph or sentence, then immediately afterwards the original one. You should definitely read the original aloud, and it may help to do this with the English as well. Likewise, it may very likely be helpful to read with your hands as well as your voice, i.e., by following the lines with your fingers. I am not sure what you mean by not having any luck remembering the meaning of the words, but I don't think you should be making any conscious effort to do this at this point.

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6332 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 18 of 39
02 March 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Bump. Did someone mention that they had all the Ardaschir posts in an easier-to-search format?
Thanks.

leosmith wrote:
Can someone give me the link to the post where Ardaschir describes the method he touches upon here? I've dug into his huge list of posts, but haven't located it. I figure somebody here will know exactly where it is.
Thanks!

Ardaschir wrote:
Czech, I am very sorry for the delayed response. You can start with a paragraph, or even a sentence, at a time, and work up to a chapter and then a whole book. As I wrote before, eventually you should read the translation and then rest for a while before reading the original to strenthen your memory. Initially, however, you should read the translated paragaph or sentence, then immediately afterwards the original one. You should definitely read the original aloud, and it may help to do this with the English as well. Likewise, it may very likely be helpful to read with your hands as well as your voice, i.e., by following the lines with your fingers. I am not sure what you mean by not having any luck remembering the meaning of the words, but I don't think you should be making any conscious effort to do this at this point.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 39
02 March 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
I think THIS is what you (leosmith) is looking for (where Will has a link to all of Ardaschir's threads).

leosmith
United States
Joined 6332 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 20 of 39
02 March 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeff!

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6874 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 21 of 39
08 March 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Sorry, this response is a little late.

The first thing that came to mind was this topic where Ardaschir describes his method for learning to read.
2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6725 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 22 of 39
08 March 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Farley wrote:
The first thing that came to mind was this topic where Ardaschir describes his method for learning to read.

John,

Thanks for the link! It's quite eye-opening to see how "indulgent" Ardaschir's approach to learning to read is. He proposes to start with bilingual texts and use them "Assimil style", that is, carefully compare sentences one by one with their translations.

I am realizing that, because bilingual editions I've seen (from Dover and Penguin) are based on unabridged sources, I treated them as more or less regular books that just happened to have translations in them. As a result, I felt obliged to slave away at the foreign text first, turning to the translation only as last resort. Ardaschir's approach is rather to use bilingual editions almost as if they were textbooks.

Edited by frenkeld on 08 March 2007 at 9:37am

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6484 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 23 of 39
08 March 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:

Thanks for the link! It's quite eye-opening to see how "indulgent" Ardaschir's approach to learning to read is. He proposes to start with bilingual texts and use them "Assimil style", that is, carefully compare sentences one by one with their translations.

I am realizing that, because bilingual editions I've seen (from Dover and Penguin) are based on unabridged sources, I treated them as more or less regular books that just happened to have translations in them. As a result, I felt obliged to slave away at the foreign text first, turning to the translation only as last resort. Ardaschir's approach is rather to use bilingual editions almost as if they were textbooks.

You're not the only one. I made the same realization while reading this thread. Fortunately, I read it right before I took a trip to Indonesia, and could pick up a couple of books, including the Little Prince. It makes reading books so much easier!

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6874 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 24 of 39
08 March 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
You're not the only one.

I read the link above almost 2 years ago and just took note of his method. Now re-reading it was an eye opener understanding how he used dual-language texts and progress sentence-to-sentence then paragraph-to-paragraph and finally chapter-to-chapter. His other posts cover similar themes about using dual-language texts to learn a language.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version