39 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
Jerrod
United States
Joined 6284 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 33 of 39
18 March 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
LilleOSC, of course pronunciation is good. In Russian if you don't make a certain letter soft, a lot of people won't understand what you are saying.
With that said, I do my flashcards on my own without my girlfriend (she is a Russian). Once a week she listens and corrects all my mistakes. After that I rarely have trouble remembering the proper way to say it. If you can study for 2 or 3 weeks, and then meet up with a tutor for an hour and remember the proper way to say it, you should be fine. If not, maybe think about buying an audio book with a text and listening and reading. If that is not an option and you are some how isolated, I would think it would be best to get it right now. There was a recent threat here about pronunciation and how important it is.
1 person has voted this message useful

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6476 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 34 of 39
03 August 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
I heard somewhere that the majority of the author's own vocabularly, or at least the vocabulary that will show up in the novel in question, is expressed somwhere between the first 20 to forty pages. Any truth to this?

FSI
United States
Joined 6140 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 

Message 35 of 39
04 August 2007 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
MeshGearFox wrote:
I heard somewhere that the majority of the author's own vocabularly, or at least the vocabulary that will show up in the novel in question, is expressed somwhere between the first 20 to forty pages. Any truth to this?

I haven't heard this before, but I agree with the idea that the first twenty or so pages of a novel are the most challenging to read, as they are when the reader becomes accustomed to the author's prosody.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6809 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 39
04 August 2007 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
MeshGearFox wrote:

This is certainly not true. I have read Tolstoy's The Kreutzer Sonata, and not Anna Karenina on LingQ and there are still lots of new words in every chapter. It is surprising how the number of new words only declines gradually. That is reality not theory.

Edited by Zhuangzi on 04 August 2007 at 12:43am

3 persons have voted this message useful

weilidai2001
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6454 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 37 of 39
17 August 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning French, I read French online news regularly. When I encounter a word that I don't know, I record that word, along with its translation and the sentence that I found it in, into a little program that I made.
When I have free time, I use this program to review the words by testing myself if I can complete a sentence using a word that I looked up. It has increased my vocabulary alot!
You can download my program on http://groups.google.co.uk/group/PhraseBaseBuilder
If you have a Pocket PC, I can also put up a Pocket PC version of the program as well! (All free of charge of course!)

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6476 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 38 of 39
18 August 2007 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
weil: I'll check that out. It looks useful. I find that, more than reviewing, just recording something interesting is helpful to remember it, so yeah. Also, it looks like it writes to just XML files? So potentially, one could use the same files for, say, other programs, I guess. Hrm.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6225 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 39 of 39
18 August 2007 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
MeshGearFox wrote:

Well, I am currently reading through a collection of Antonio Machado poems. I do think there is a bit of truth to what you heard, but not much. Machado uses quite a lot of specific words through the book - he writes mostly about nature so there's different trees and the like. I can read some of the short poems without having to look up a new word, but the sometimes I find many new ones. I think it depends on the level you are at. The author will use a base vocabulary and then have their own vocabulary on top of that. If you know all the base vocabulary then you'll find the new words reappear constantly, but if you don't know the base vocab then you'll find new words constantly. I'm not sure how you'd distinguish between the base and the author's own but it gets the idea across.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version