Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5354 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 1 of 1
23 March 2014 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Over the past few years I have been going through charity shops and ebay amassing LPs
for the BBC courses from the 1960s to 1980s. I have an ageing record player and the
wires to covert the LPs to MP3, so these old courses can live again.

The old BBC courses are little mentioned here - but for general language learning up to
CEFR B1 they are excellent. They generally come with 2 or 3 LPs (sometimes 5 LPs) all
in the target language - that makes between one and half to two and quarter hours of
very useful comprehensible input.    

Up until about 1975 the BBC courses contained dramas comparable to the 1970s
Linguaphone courses. After about 1975 until the 1980s the BBC changed its tack and
produced courses based around interviews with native speakers. Although the LPs are
sometimes hard to come by, the booklets (generally A5 in size and about 150-200 pages
long) are available on Amazon for next to nothing - 1p plus postage (so £2.81) in most
cases. The booklets contain the transcripts, word lists, grammar explanations and
exercises.

Here is a summary of the courses I have got:

German

Komm mit! Wir sprechen Deutsch - 3 LPs and a books following a visitor around a German
city - its quite old fashioned and the audio is - sentence - gap for repeating -
sentence, etc style, but I am sure it would be more useful if the gaps were cut down.
A1-2 level.

Riesebüro Atlas/Wiedersehen in Ansburg

These 2 courses are essentially one course. Riesebüro Atlas has 3 LPs and 3 booklets
and Wiedersehen in Ansburg has a book and 2 LPS - so that is a whooping 3 hours and 45
minutes of German comprehensible input. This is a nice course that, whilst a little
old fashioned, provides an amusing soap opera set in a travel agency. A1-B1 level.

Wie Bitte?

This is a 3 LP course that follows the tenants (a journalist, doctor and a pop star
pretending to be a student) of an apartment in swinging 60s Hamburg. It develops in
record 3 into a crime story. Like Riesebüro Atlas it is an amusing soap opera that
provides a good wack of comprehensible input. A1-B1 level.

Kontakte

This 70s course represents the BBC’s shift to interviews rather than stories. Kontakte
has 3 LPs and 3 books that starts with pronunciation exercises and moves on to
dialogues (which are a bit like the FSI FAST courses in content). Every lesson has an
interview at the appropriate level and a text/monologue ('liesen und verstehen') that
is set just above the appropriate level to provide a listening/reading challenge .

Wegweiser

2 LPs and 2 books - this course follows Kontakte but is structured around interviews.

Kein Problem

2 Lps and 1 books - is a A2-B1 course that follows Wegweiser.

Deutsch Direkt

Is a 1980s 3 cassette, 1 book course that gets in the low B1 range.

Deutsch Plus - is a more glossy late 1980s course that is still available - it is a
step down from its predecessors - but the core of the course is the storyline -
available on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lk9rS7n-4Q

French

Starting French - a 1964 course consisting of 4 LPs, 1 book of 40 progressively more
complicated dialogues.    A1-2 level.

Bonjour Francoise - 3 LPs, 3 booklets following the career of a model and her entourage
around Paris - Like Komm Mit! the audio is of the sentence - gap for repeating -
sentence, etc style. A1-2 level.

Répondez s'il vous plaît - 1969 - 3 LPs and 3 booklets - The story in the booklets was
a TV series following a detective on holiday in a French village. The LPs are two and
a quarter hours of FSI like drill exercises - written by the same person that did the
Linguaphone French course - A1-A2 level.

Vient de paraître - this course is a series of dialogues that follows the staff of a
Paris newspaper. It is a more advanced course than the others (designed for people in
their 3rd year of French). It has 2 LPs and a book. I have the first LP but have
never seen the second one. Probably A2-B1.

Suivez la piste - 2 LPs and a book. This roman policier follows a young couple as they
investigate a crime cartel in Paris and Geneva. Suivez la piste was used in the 70s
and 80s in language schools and so is quite well known. The audio is available here:
http://ruevavin.tumblr.com/page/2. I would class it as A2.

Ensemble - this 2 LP, 2 booklet course from the 1970s marks the BBC’s transition to
interview based courses. The LPs for Ensemble have interviews and also follow little
comedy skits exemplifying the language, including the adventures of Reynard the Fox.
Truncated versions of the TV programmes that accompanied it can be found on YouTube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vYH8g0yN1I. I would reckon its A1.

Sur le Vif - is a 2 LP, 2 booklet course that follows on from Ensemble. It is
structured entirely around interviews which highlight the grammatical points taught.
Moves into the A2 range.

Allez France - a more complicated (A2-B1) course following on from Sur le Vif
structured around interviews - it consisting of 2 LPS and a book.

A Vous La France/BBC French Master - A 80s course that is largely based on interviews
and learning phrases. This is a beginners course. The French Master course is a self
teaching version of A Vous La France that has a lot more English in it and 4 VHS
videos.

France Extra - is a 3 cassette, 1 book course that carries on from A Vous La France.
It contains interviews, pronunciation practice and grammar and speaking drills.

Spanish
I don’t speak Spanish, so I don’t really have many of the courses. I have picked up
these:

Zarabanda - This is a 1 book and 2 LP course for beginners. At its core is a soap
opera. The soap opera part of the TV series can be found on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ccopenhagen1. It is probably A1-2

Tal Como Es - this is the follow on course from Zarabanda - 2 LPs and a book. A2

Espana Viva - This beginners course is still available - although it originates from
the 80s and is in the same style - The BBC brought out BBC Spanish Master which was the
same thing with self teaching elements and had 4 VHS videos with it.

Italian - again I don’t speak Italian so I can’t fully describe the courses.

Avventura - early 1970s beginners course consisting of 2 LPs and a book following (as
far as I can tell) the exploits of a business man.

Italianissimo - This beginners course is still available - it was also released as
Italian Master with lots of English tuition to aid self learning.

Welsh

Welsh For Beginners - 1966. This course is made up of 3 LPs and a pamphlet. I don’t
speak Welsh, so can’t really rate it but the LPs are all in Welsh.

Dewch I Siard - Lets Speak Welsh - 1970s - This has 2 LPs and 2 booklets and follows
Alun and Gwen through Welsh domestic life.

Edited by Elexi on 23 March 2014 at 11:34am

12 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version