United States
Joined 3721 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, German

Message 1 of 2
23 March 2014 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Main questions:
1 - Do you prefer monolingual or bilingual dictionaries?
2 - If you make bilingual flashcards, do you make two for each word (one with target
language on the front, one with native language on the front)?

I'm currently trying to decide whether to switch to using a monolingual dictionary for
studying Korean and I wanted to see what people have to say about that.

Has anyone switched to using a monolingual dictionary and seen a noticeable improvement
in vocab retention (or anything else)? Do you find monolingual flashcards to be better?

If I don't switch completely over to monolingual dictionaries/flash cards, then I am
also not sure what do to about my Anki situation. I started using Anki after about a
year of studying Korean with paper flash cards and from the start I've had it set to
make two cards for each word (K > E and E > K). Now, however, it seems like Anki takes
up way too much time. Lately it's taken about an hour and a half to really get through
all my reviews because I'm also adding about 30 to 50 new words a day.

Would anyone recommend switching to just K>E cards? Or, should I ditch them completely
and just make monolingual flash cards?

To give you all a little background, I'm at the point now with Korean where I can get
all my new vocab words from authentic sources. I've read through some middle
school/early high school level novels and I try to read as much news as possible in
Korean every day. I also regularly read Naver web-toons. With all of those things I can
generally get through them and understand the main points without a dictionary (except
for news articles about subjects I'm unfamiliar with) but I prefer to look up all the
words I don't know. I feel like the best way for me to make another jump is to just
read intensively so I'm hoping to find a way to cut back on Anki time and things like
that.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Edited by GSam on 23 March 2014 at 7:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 2
24 March 2014 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion monolingual dictionaries are irrelevant unless you already know a language fairly well OR you need some special kind of information which in some cases only is available in monolingual dictionaries (like etymology or slang expressions).
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version