Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6380 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 1 of 9
23 March 2014 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of a book explaining the differences in grammar and vocabulary in different hispanophone countries? It would seem to me there ought to be such a book, but I'm not sure how to search for it. Preferably it'd be written in Spanish, explaining things like vos and vosotros, computadora/ordenador, what "chucho" means in all the different places where it's used, and so on.

Thankful for all suggestions.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3786 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 9
23 March 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
EL ESPAÑOL Y SUS VARIEDADES

I've seen this on Amazon, but there are no reviews and seems to be currently unavailable anyway.
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5173 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
23 March 2014 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Cassell's Colloquial Spanish may be similar to what you are looking for. It is a great resource. It takes the approach of "beyond the dictionary" and is organized like a dictionary. It definitely explains differences between countries. I highly recommend it. If you search this forum you can find some links to electronic versions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6380 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 9
23 March 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
The Cassell's book looks really good. I couldn't find any electronic versions, so I ordered a used copy from Amazon for pretty much no money at all. Only problem is it'll take three weeks to get here …

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5630 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 5 of 9
23 March 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Try 'Latin American Spanish (Longman Linguistics Library)' by John M Lipski. Also
available in Spanish 'El espanol de America' (LINGUISTICA) (Linguistica / Linguistics)

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4348 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 9
23 March 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
The Cassell's is fantastic, I refer to it all the time. The others people have
mentioned are dialectical linguistics texts and I'm pretty sure that they are much more
exhaustive and minute in their focus than what you're looking for.

The Lipski, for example (which, translated to Spanish, is one of the required texts for
a Linguistics course I'm currently taking for my MA in Spanish) doesn't simply describe
the major characteristics of say, Cuban Spanish, but exhaustively traces the history of
all of them (even those that no longer exist, but for which there is evidence in 18th
c. texts,) refutes various theories as to their origin, and does all of this at length
and in minute detail. I think few people would knowingly volunteer for being subjected
to it without the promise of receiving academic credit.

Another option, in Spanish & perhaps midway between the linguistics texts and Cassell's
in terms of being scholarly is the RAE's El diccionario panhispanico de dudas,
which perfectly fits the description of what you're looking for. I believe there's even
an online, searchable version of it.

EDIT: I was wrong- looking at its description on its home page,its purpose appears to
be as a reference of usage within the "norma culta" (panhispanica, of course,) to be
consulted in case of "linguistic doubts." But I'm sure I remember reading useful and
interesting dialectical information in it.

Anyway, here's its link: http://www.rae.es/recursos/diccionarios/dpd

Edited by Gala on 23 March 2014 at 10:19pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5173 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 7 of 9
23 March 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Stelingo, how did you like the "Espanol en America" book? It looks pretty good, but there is not much info on Amazon about it. What's it like?

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5630 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 8 of 9
24 March 2014 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I read it several years ago now, so had to look at the book to remind myself. It goes into great detail about
the development of Spanish in each country. There isn't a list of vocabulary specific to each countries
although, naturally, many examples crop up in each chapter. The book is split into two parts. Part one is
about the evolution of Latin American Spanish and has 5 chapters covering LA dialect classification, and
the contributions of Spain, Africa and native Americans. Part two has 15 chapters, each one devoted to a
separate country. Chapter seven on Argentina, for example is about 20 pages. It starts with a historical
overview, then deals with phonetics and phonology, morphological characteristics, syntax, and finally
lexical characteristics. This is a typical of each chapter. The book is very academic and quite dry but
interesting nontheless.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version