14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
markmsb
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 14
24 March 2014 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
This question probably has been asked one trillion and one times if I am not mistaken , but for some reason I can not find the answer.

I have been doing one assimil passive lesson each day. I read each lesson out loud without the audio. I pause and read each sentence after it is said once or twice and i follow along in both the English and target language texts a few times silently as well as try to read the sentences in unison with the audio.

I usually have understand of the lessons but when it comes times to follow the audio it seems like I am behind.

Question: Am I done each lesson when I can understand it while listening and or reading along in the target language text or should I be produce the language while listening to the audio without trouble.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5708 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 14
24 March 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Don't worry about being able to produce anything on your own during the passive phase. You'll get to that later. Just observe and try to understand. People use Assimil in so many different ways so just do what seems best for you, and move on when you're ready. Doesn't have to be perfect, or even close to perfect... But if you feel like your understanding of the audio is a little behind then focus on that more, without the text in front of you, try to at least make out the words they're saying.

I was much more passive than you when I used Assimil courses but it still works. The thing about Assimil is that you'll see the benefits of the technique later, even if it isn't obvious now that it's working :-)

Liz
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 14
24 March 2014 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Depends on what else you do and whether Assimil is your main/only resource. I recommend listening to something else along with Assimil. Or working more with the Assimil audio at least.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3881 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 14
24 March 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
You might find this thread or relevance:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=36961
3 persons have voted this message useful

markmsb
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 5 of 14
24 March 2014 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone. I believe all of your posts have been useful and helpful. Do you think that listening alone can help with future production of a language or are listening and production two separate entities?

I believe assimil is a great course and it is actually entertaining to use. I have been using "New French with Ease" along with "French Without Toil" as a supplement in a less strict manner. Both of these programs of very engaging. I just hope that they are effective for me or for anyone else for that matter in comprehending words in a controlled setting.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 14
24 March 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Listening and production are certainly closely connected. I wrote about that in this thread, for example (see the links too). The most extreme example is the LR method.

Speaking from my experience: in Finnish I could read, write and think, and it took some Assimil and listening before I could speak and interact. I didn't mind that and expected to use similar strategies in Portuguese, Italian, Polish etc, but I became a football (soccer) fan and discovered LR and with the massive listening I've done I didn't need Assimil really.

It's been discussed in this thread too. I think it's largely a question of priorities and personalities too. But I see some clear advantages of listening first. Others don't. It's very individual. But feel free to experiment, and if you keep a log, we'll help you not to stray off the path :)

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4053 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 7 of 14
24 March 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
markmsb wrote:

should I be produce the language while listening to the audio without trouble.

What exactly do you mean by produce the language while listening to the audio? The term "shadowing" is often used here and by other language learners to mean listening to audio and speaking over it simultaneously or with a slight delay. Is that what you're talking about, or have I misunderstood?

markmsb
United States
Joined 3717 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 8 of 14
24 March 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Yes you are correct when you mention shadowing. I find sometimes when I shadow the audio my understand while speaking goes down and I am saying things not yet quite cemented in my brain.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version