Canada
Joined 3796 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 9 of 16
25 March 2014 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I have a mathematics degree, and I am unsure if mathematics has actual grammar. We have
symbols like !=, =/=, for negation, +, -, -V- for "for every", etc., but in terms of
verb tense, noun gender, or noun case I see no exact analogy. Regarding word order, the
BOMDAS for BOMDAS/Order of Operations,
but this is to achieve a correct value, which remains independent of case, gender, verb
tense, verb mood, SOV/OVS/SVO order, etc. One surely cannot mix up the BOMDAS order of
operations because one feels like doing so, or to create emphasis like in some
languages. Perhaps what you mean is that mathematics can be a type of language like
computer programming.

Any mathematical system or programming language must have a "grammar". A grammar is just a set of structural rules. You could easily create a math system or programming language "mimicking" the features of a language. As far as I can see, there is no grammar rule that can't be expressed in a programming language, and theoretical computer science is a branch of math so...

Edited by jpmtl on 25 March 2014 at 6:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 16
25 March 2014 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I have been very active both with mathematics and with music earlier in my life, but I have never felt that those two topics had more to do do with my languages than for instance travelling or painting. I still spend a lot of time on music - but now only passively - my instruments are gathering dust, I stopped composing eons ago and I have finished the theme catalogue for my cassette collection so I hardly ever have to write notes now. And concerning mathematics: I still make computer programmes and solve sudokus, but that's about as close I get to mathematics these days.

Let's take mathematics first: it is clear that a systematic and logical mind has an advantage when it comes to finding patterns in a complicated field, and very theoretical types of linguistics like transformational grammar or computational linguistics may appeal to people with a mathematical mindset. But when it comes to language learning other faculties are as important, and some aspects of mathematic thinking are even harmful - like being nitpicking about arcane details, which are quite important for mathematical proofs, but basically irrelevant for a language learner. However I still enjoy beautiful grammatical statements, which in one fell swoop can impose some kind of order on a whole range of unwieldy facts.

And music? I prefer instrumental music with a wide margin, and then song texts suddenly aren't as important any more. But music has one important characteristic, namely being so utterly un-linguistic that I can listen to good music even while I work intensively with weak languages. I generally hate background music on TV and in shops, but that's because 87,35% of the background music on TV is constructed by evil tonedeaf dwarfs who hate the viewers but love their pay check, and 99,9999% of the music in buses is chosen by tonedeaf drivers who just need some background noise to keep them from thinking about the world in general. OK, maybe there are people who like the electronic noise pollution on TV, but there are also people who watch the commercials with glee.

What then about the relations between music and mathematics? Well, once again I don't feel that the relationship is particularly clear. Of course baroque composers like Johann Sebastian Bach needed a quasi-mathematical brain to compose their contrapunctual masterpieces, but I have not the impression that any of the great composers also was a master mathematician. And the whole emotional impact of music is as fsr away from mathematics as you can imagine.

Summa summarum, I do think that one person can be gifted in and enjoy music, mathematics AND languages, and if it happens then there may be some kind of red thread through the way such a person works with and enjoy all three things, but there is no guarantee that a gifted musician or mathematician also is a good language learner.

Edited by Iversen on 30 March 2014 at 1:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 11 of 16
25 March 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
If you assume Math, Music & Languages as academic discipline compliment each other. On the other
hand, there are groups of people who are highly academic in Math and can play a music instrument like
a piano or violin at a high level but not necessarily be able to speak a foreign language well or even the
language they use for daily communications. Normally don't like to stereotype. There are Asian people
who are brought up to do a lot of Math drills & exercises and practice a music instrument by repeating
pieces of Classical music many times. Many get into Science, Computer Science, Math. They can
program a computer very well but their language skills tend to be weak.

People can learn a language "by the book" with a lot of exercises. Many achieved a high level translating
from 1 language to the next. But in order to speak very well and discuss various topics in a social
setting require social skills. Drills and exercises can only get you so far but people who tend to be
introvert or those who associate with people they know and speak a familiar language tend to have a
disadvantage.

The other day I was editing a complaint letter for someone to be sent to a community agency. The man
lived in an English-speaking country for over 10 years. He works in a call centre talking to customers
every day. But his level of written English is weak with run-on sentences and sentences that doesn't give
the correct context as written. Spelling is usually not a problem since all the wrong words are
highlighted in red.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4163 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 12 of 16
26 March 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I've gone back and forth about this, because I'm not sure I ever noticed any advantage in having been a musician as far as language learning is concerned. I can see how certain types of music are more similar to languages. Those years where I primarily sang Gregorian chant and polyphony really emphasized that---and it's probably some of the most difficult music I've ever had to sing, even more than the arias I've had to prepare. There's still a certain amount to be analyzed, and yet at the same time everyone has a different way to interpret it. I imagine that not all areas of music are equal in terms of relation to languages; a composer would probably see it in a different way than I would.

As for mathematics, the only exam I ever failed was one in math. I am NOT a math person at all, but I can see where there would be advantages in having a good understanding how it works.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5945 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 13 of 16
28 March 2014 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
And now for a side question:

If you wrote the IPA symbols on a musical scale, would that capture cadence and prosody in a spoken language ? I’m assuming you’ll also use breves, quavers and semi-quavers to capture syllable length.

Edited by DaraghM on 28 March 2014 at 9:40am

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4894 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 14 of 16
30 March 2014 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
If you assume Math, Music & Languages as academic discipline compliment each other. On the other
hand, there are groups of people who are highly academic in Math and can play a music instrument like
a piano or violin at a high level but not necessarily be able to speak a foreign language well or even the
language they use for daily communications. Normally don't like to stereotype. There are Asian people
who are brought up to do a lot of Math drills & exercises and practice a music instrument by repeating
pieces of Classical music many times. Many get into Science, Computer Science, Math. They can
program a computer very well but their language skills tend to be weak.

People can learn a language "by the book" with a lot of exercises. Many achieved a high level translating
from 1 language to the next. But in order to speak very well and discuss various topics in a social
setting require social skills. Drills and exercises can only get you so far but people who tend to be
introvert or those who associate with people they know and speak a familiar language tend to have a
disadvantage.

The other day I was editing a complaint letter for someone to be sent to a community agency. The man
lived in an English-speaking country for over 10 years. He works in a call centre talking to customers
every day. But his level of written English is weak with run-on sentences and sentences that doesn't give
the correct context as written. Spelling is usually not a problem since all the wrong words are
highlighted in red.

That's not so different from many native English speakers.

I don't really see math and languages as being terribly similar. Personally, math is much more of a foreign language than any foreign language I've studied.

MarcoLeal
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4628 days ago

58 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 15 of 16
31 March 2014 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
There seems to be some confusion between Maths and mathematical notation here.

Mathematical notation is indeed a language in the sense that it is a set of symbols that you can combine more or less freely (albeit respecting rules, i.e., a grammar) to convey meaning in a given context.

Maths is, however, not the same as mathematical notation. It is the knowledge base about numbers and other abstract concepts and the relationships between them. It is independent of how you write it just like stories can be told in different languages. If we ever get visited by an advanced alien civilization they will most definitely know maths and yet certainly communicate their knowledge differently.

So I think the proper analogy is: Maths is to mathematical notation what anything that is said or written in a given language is to that language.

Mathematical notation/Natural language -> form.
Maths/Corpus of a language -> content.

The reasoning for music is similar. Musical notation is a language but actual music (as in musical pieces) is content and therefore not a language. Of course one could ask: But what if I listen to a song and think it's sad? Isn't the idea of sadness being conveyed to me in a way other than by English/French/etc. words? In other words, isn't that a different language? I would say no, it isn't because there's no standardized way of encoding this idea in music. Ideas are conveyed in a metaphorical, subjective way if you will, and just like most of us recognize that the "green-eyed monster" is a Shakespearean reference to jealousy, we still don't consider it part of the English language: it won't be given as a synonym for jealousy in a dictionary and it can be translated literally into other languages without losing its symbolism, suggesting that it is really all about the idea.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 16
07 April 2014 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
And now for a side question:

If you wrote the IPA symbols on a musical scale, would that capture cadence and prosody in a spoken language ? I’m assuming you’ll also use breves, quavers and semi-quavers to capture syllable length.

If I want to write prosody down I can do so with a simple wawering line above the text (useful for singsong languages like Norwegian and Swedish!). And I can indicate stress with a line below the stressed syllables, if the need arises. But these things have nothing to do with my choice of phonetic signs - the lines function equally well with homemade signs and ordinary letters as they do with IPA. Besides I am wary about introducing fake accent signs because diacritics in most languages are used in quite specific ways - lines above and below aren't. The only drawback is that I can't write wawering lines on an ordinary keyboard.

Edited by Iversen on 07 April 2014 at 10:02am

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version