jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 8
25 March 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Hello, Does anyone know if the 1978 edition of Assimil's Russian Without Toil is the same as the 1951 edition? The reason I'm asking is that I have the sound files for the 1951 edition, but have the chance to buy a copy of the 1978 book. Does that make sense?

Anyway, if anyone out there can give me an answer, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
John

2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4435 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 2 of 8
25 March 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
I've only done the first 7 lessons with a 50s book and 70s audio (I think) and not everything was 100% the same. Some words were different and a few others were cut out. It also depends on which country each comes from. The audio I used was made for the French version but the book was English, and some of the exercises had French names or cities instead of what was in the English book.
1 person has voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 

Message 3 of 8
25 March 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Hello sillygoose, Thank you very much for your contribution. Since I have scant cognizance of the Assimil publishing empire, I'd like to ask if I'm correct in thinking you mean your audio is from Russe sans Pleine while your book is Russian Without Toil. If that is correct, it sounds as if the two can be used together if one ignores the slight differences which would, I suspect, be rather obvious in use. Yes?

Thanks again.
cheers,
John

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4053 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 4 of 8
25 March 2014 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I haven't looked through the whole Russian without Toil course yet, but my impression is that it diverges more than slightly. Some lessons, while about the same subject matter, appear to have been re-written and re-worked quite a lot, and other lessons are completely different.

You could theoretically use the Russian Without Toil audio with certain lessons of Le Russe Sans Peine, but I think it would get really frustrating really quickly.

Edited by YnEoS on 25 March 2014 at 10:01pm

Bart
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6959 days ago

155 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese, Swedish

Message 5 of 8
26 March 2014 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
It is not the same, even though some lessons are more or less the same, I would advise you to look for the audio files for the edition from the seventies. I'm not sure the book is available in English though, but if you speak French then Le Russe Sans Peine is one of the best and most thorough courses for learning Russian available.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 

Message 6 of 8
28 March 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Hello Everybody,

Thank you all for your input. I already had a pdf copy of the 1951 text, but I really don't like reading from screens (I'm old, you see), and I wasn't terribly keen to print off the entire course book.

I did, however, today find and buy a copy of the 1951 text that wasn't priced in the astronomical range.

The motivation behind the whole venture is that I already have the current version of the course, and have heard that the earlier courses are more demanding. So, I'm hoping to use it as a follow on.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
John P

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4076 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 7 of 8
03 April 2014 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
There are 4 generations. You may want to have a look at (remove the space in the links):

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=14926&PN=44

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 

Message 8 of 8
03 April 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Hello Paco, Thank you for the lead to the thread. It's really informative and thought provoking.

Cheers,
John

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version