11 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 11
26 March 2014 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
So, if you want to gain a passive understanding, as Serpent says, there's no real worry about mixing. If you want to really learn the language to a high level, then I think you should approach it on its own terms by leveraging your knowledge of the similar language.

Well, my goal is definitely reaching a high level. If I didn't want that, I wouldn't need that book for Spaniards since I can already understand Italian well. I'm using it to fix my grammar without the boredom of an English or Russian book explaining to me the things I already know, as a language learner and as a linguist.

It's about your first goal, not your ultimate goal. I learn like that because I have no interest in speaking from day one. See for example my discussion with Expugnator in your thread about the multitrack approach.

Edited by Serpent on 26 March 2014 at 10:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3856 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 10 of 11
31 March 2014 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Tons of input! Thank you very much!
So, I read many times each of your answers.

Just to check if I understood correctly, right now I'm particularly interested to this topic because
- I'm A1 in dutch and beginner in German but I'm studying actively German and I was considering if doing or not
something with dutch as well
- I'm A2 (probably above average A2) in French and Spanish is a goal for the next year, but I was wondering if there
is space to start gaining some knowledge since now
- similar considerations can be done in future when I will be advanced in French and German, and around
intermediate in Spanish and Dutch, and for example I start considering Catalan and Afrikaans (just an example)

So seems to be clear from your massive input that I can study actively French and German, while acquiring
knowledges on grammar and vocabulary (but without speaking) in Spanish and Dutch, without any hurry of course. I
can even read and listen Spanish (thanks to my knowledges of three related languages: Italian (especially), french
and a little bit even English. And this without having to fear to mess up with French. But I have to avoid activating
the spoken part.
Is it correct?
Thanks again
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4477 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 11 of 11
31 March 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have just started out learning Serbian and Croatian. The first book I am plowing through is in Serbian and written in Cyrillic, and my most valuable resource for listening is a Croatian TV station. SO how can I keep those two apart? The simple answer is: I can't.
If you mix Serbian and Croatia, you get Bosnian,
no biggie, all languages are widely understood. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version