United States
Joined 3853 days ago

11 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 1 of 3
27 March 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here is fluent in ASL. If so, are there free resources on the
internet that are available?

I really want to learn this language but unfortunately, I don't have an opportunity to
learn in a traditional classroom setting. Is there any way I can teach myself?

Thank you so much! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

WoofCreature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4335 days ago

80 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 2 of 3
27 March 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
I've at various times attempted to learn ASL, though I've never stuck with it because there's not exactly movies and books in the language, and I don't know anyone who speaks it. But Lifeprint has proven to be quite useful when I tried. It's got some lessons and a fairly large dictionary. Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5765 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 3
28 March 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Hi nathdep,

I am in the early stages of learning ASL, so I cannot speak precisely as to how far one could go on one's own off internet materials, but I am reasonably confident in saying it is possible to go pretty far.   You will lack an opportunity for feedback on the quality and correctness of your own signing, but there is a surprising amount of ASL material on the interweb that should get you going.

I agree with WoofCreature, the lifeprint site is full of useful stuff, but personally, I found it a bit hard to get around as a complete beginner.   

Bearing in mind that I don't really know what I am talking about (a personal motto of mine, sadly), based on my own very limited experience so far over the last three months, I would start with learning how to fingerspell first. In place of starting with Lifeprint, there are a number of easy youtube videos that may be of assistance - I would just poke around until you find one that strikes your fancy, search terms ASL fingerspelling, ASL alphabet, etc.   

Once you have the alphabet down, there is a superfun site that will let you practice fingerspelling recognition, with the ability to limit the number of letters per word, speed (from slow to Deaf): fingerspelling recognition

There is an ASL dictionary at Lifeprint, but I prefer the video dictionary at
ASL video dictionary

I have been working through a series of lessons at
sign with courtney - start with the lessons for beginners.

I have found learning ASL very interesting so far. Good luck and have fun if you give it a try.

Edited by Spanky on 28 March 2014 at 4:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version