Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Are you literate in languages you study?

Tags: Writing | Reading
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 18
31 March 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
I think languages like Chinese will be more suitable for/in the future:
1. in the future, intelligent creatures are likely to communicate telepathically (by using/projecting ideas,
and not spoken words)
2. when it is necessary to write things, it will be easier to write ''ideas'' than pronunciations

(in ufology literature, there are cases of people being abducted by aliens,
aliens don't talk, their speech apparatus is underdeveloped, they are said to communicate telepathically...
some abductees claim having seen ''alien script'', which is, reportedly, more similar to Egyptian script
and Hanzi than to any ''phonetic'' alphabet we know).

My first reaction was "Are you kidding me?", but then I remembered that when I was a kid, the notion of
seeing the person you were talking to on the phone was pure science fiction, and the first time I saw a fax, an
answering machine or an e-mail (all three in American movies, obviously) I was absolutely fascinated, so who
knows. Perhaps we will communicate by telepathy in the future...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 18 of 18
07 April 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Reading depends on writing

in Chinese Language development entails four fundamental and interactive abilities: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Over the past four decades, a large body of evidence has indicated that reading acquisition is strongly associated with a child's listening skills, particularly the child's sensitivity to phonological structures of spoken language. Furthermore, it has been hypothesized that the close relationship between reading and listening is manifested universally across languages and that behavioral remediation using strategies addressing phonological awareness alleviates reading difficulties in dyslexics. The prevailing view of the central role of phonological awareness in reading development is largely based on studies using Western (alphabetic) languages, which are based on phonology. The Chinese language provides a unique medium for testing this notion, because logographic characters in Chinese are based on meaning rather than phonology. Here we show that the ability to read Chinese is strongly related to a child's writing skills and that the relationship between phonological awareness and Chinese reading is much weaker than that in reports regarding alphabetic languages. We propose that the role of logograph writing in reading development is mediated by two possibly interacting mechanisms. The first is orthographic awareness, which facilitates the development of coherent, effective links among visual symbols, phonology, and semantics; the second involves the establishment of motor programs that lead to the formation of long-term motor memories of Chinese characters. These findings yield a unique insight into how cognitive systems responsible for reading development and reading disability interact, and they challenge the prominent phonological awareness view.

source: http://www.pnas.org.sci-hub.org/content/102/24/8781.short

Edited by Medulin on 07 April 2014 at 11:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version