19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5018 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 9 of 19
01 April 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Are there two questions being conflated here? 1. What's the best grammar of a language? 2. What's the best grammar of a language for a non-speaker trying to learn it?

At any rate, I often look for the second one of those when I start a language. For y'all's reference, I do so by going to Amazon, searching for, say, "Turkish Grammar" and look for the one with the highest rating (with a non-negligible amount of votes).
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4458 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 10 of 19
01 April 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
For Brazilian Portuguese:
Modern Portuguese (Reference Grammar) by Mario Perini, Yale University Press

For Spanish:
A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish by John Butt and Carmen Benjamin (Routledge)

For Swedish:
Swedish: A Comprehensive Grammar (Routledge Comprehensive Grammars) by Holmes, Philip and Hinchliffe, Ian

For Vietnamese:
Vietnamese by Nguyen Inh Hoa, Published by John Benjamins Publishing Co

For Mandarin:
Yufa! A Practical Guide to Mandarin Chinese Grammar (Arnold Concise Grammars) by Wen-Hua Teng

For Japanese:
Japanese: A Comprehensive Grammar (Comprehensive Grammars) by Stefan Kaiser, Yasuko Ichikawa, Noriko Kobayashi and Hilofumi Yamamoto

For Bengali:
Bengali: A Comprehensive Grammar (Routledge Comprehensive Grammars) by Hanne-Ruth Thompson

For Hindi:
Hindi by Yamuna Kachru (John Benjamins Publishing)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 19
02 April 2014 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Are there two questions being conflated here? 1. What's the best grammar of a language? 2. What's the best grammar of a language for a non-speaker trying to learn it?

This is a relevant question. I have never found anything more comprehensive and precise than Grevisse for French, but with all its details about obscure constructions and all its examples from long dead and somewhat excentric autors like Gide and Malraux, utter lack of modern Spoken French examples and its outdated grammatical analyses it shouldn't be use by newbees. But this is signaled already by its being in French. But having said that I have to recant, because my preferred French grammar by Knud Togeby was written in Danish, but extended and republished in French.

I'm very cautious about pointing out 'the best' grammar for learners in specific languages - in all likelyhood I haven't seen the very best ones. But if I see a Routledge grammar on the shelf in a bookstore I generally grab it.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6372 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 12 of 19
02 April 2014 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
I interpreted the question as being not about "which grammar is the best", but "which is the standard grammar", i.e. the one most cited and referenced by natives.

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4652 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 13 of 19
02 April 2014 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
For German I have "DUDEN - Die Grammatik". Seems to include everything I could ever
possibly need.

I agree with Chung that for Finnish "Iso suomen kielioppi" seems to be the most
comprehensive grammar out there. However, it's so massive that I have opted to use a much
thinner book ("Suomen kielioppi" by Pirkko Leino) for reference.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 19
02 April 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm generally wary of one-stop solutions. If I have a specific question (for example, whether "think positive" is correct), I google and look for pages dedicated to this specific issue. Pages that show the viewpoints from multiple grammars, give a lot of examples and help me form my own opinion instead of prescribing it without showing significant evidence. Pages made by people who are passionate about this particular bit of language.

As I said, google is usually the best place to start, and wikipedia can be good too. But if I could use one site and only one, it would probably be about.com.

And if I happen to have no Internet access even from my phone, then grammar won't be the biggest thing to worry about.

Edited by Serpent on 02 April 2014 at 12:21pm

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5941 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 15 of 19
02 April 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
For Spanish:

RAE - Nueva gramática de la lengua española.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4634 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 16 of 19
02 April 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Icelandic:

Bruno Kress: Isländische Grammatik

This is the best grammar for Icelandic which is available, but unfortunately it's out of print and only available in German.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version