Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4894 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 9 of 34
01 April 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if this is really what the original poster meant, but felt really accomplished when I finished reading the Bible, the Chronicles of Narnia, and the Harry Potter series in French.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 01 April 2014 at 11:34pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tanya b
United States
Joined 4572 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 10 of 34
02 April 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I met an Armenian man who twice tried to get me on Armenian language TV as a fluent non-Armenian, but I declined for family and travel reasons.

I also once called a university and inquired about their Russian courses, and after speaking only Russian with the girl for about 20 minutes, she told me I couldn't enroll because the courses weren't open to native speakers.

But most of all I remember being petrified for about 3 years at the thought of watching light-speed Russian news (no subs), and finally mustering up the courage that cold November night to watch it. And after I watched the whole show and found that I understood 85%, I was so elated, that I, for the first and only time in my life, actually did a fistpump.

Edited by tanya b on 02 April 2014 at 12:50am

7 persons have voted this message useful

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4894 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 11 of 34
02 April 2014 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
Having one of my students tell me last night that because I told her not to give up and
to carry on trying, giving her tips on how I learned languages, she scored 94% on her
midterm for English, her last test at school was %60!
6 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 34
02 April 2014 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
The first time I was able to have full conversations in Italy, being the group's translator, person who figured out all the buses and trains, ordered taxis in the middle of nowhere etc. Actually, having a real conversation with a taxi driver was very satisfying, because he was going on in full speed Italian. After that nothing ever broke my confidence again.
4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 13 of 34
02 April 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
The 30 minute lesson in love was a really great experience. The young man, Kevin, was an immigrant, hard working, shy, solid, and interested in me as a person as I was in him. He spoke very little English at that time. I ran into him again a few years later and he was speaking English in a manner that made us both proud.

Another amazing experience in Spanish was having another fellow explain the lessons he had learned from a series of books written by a priest. That was a very cool experience. He was trying to help me understand how the techniques of that priest had helped him. He spoke virtually no English, but I will never forget José Flores.
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5270 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 14 of 34
02 April 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
I'm proud that I haven't given up on French & Spanish for the last two years, that I've
gotten myself to a level where I can watch tv/movies comfortably without subs, that I didn't suffer too much to
wanderlust, and that because of language learning I gained a new hobby in reading novels/philosophy for
pleasure.

Hi sillygoose1,

This is the first reply i've read from this seemingly interesting thread. Reading your concise post makes me
feel proud and I don't know you. However knowing how much conscious effort it takes to get to the level you
have (i'm not there yet in my first TL) makes me think, wow, great job, that's what I want to do.

I'm on the right track :) and I'm proud of myself for that. I'm on a slight high as I found out I passed my DELF
B1 in French I sat a couple weeks back now. I certainly will be much happier when I pass the B2 as B1 is not
really my aim. I know I have a lot of gaps, but reading your post, that's where I'm aiming. It's inspirational to
read. I'm happy i'm sticking to my studying this year, that's what I'm really proud of. The results seem to come
slower than expected because of numerous reasons but I'm so glad i'm sticking to it. The effort to get there
really makes it worthwhile.

PM

Edit: After reading the other posts on here... it's all inspirational stuff, love it

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 02 April 2014 at 11:18am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4433 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 15 of 34
02 April 2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I have had several moments of feeling proud, but here are some I remember well (and sorry if I brag a little bit):

On the plane, on my way to Spain for the first time, 19 years old, I had my first real conversation in Spanish with the two guys next to me. It went really well and I felt quite proud. It turned out they were part of the Spanish national basketball team and one of them a star player in Barcelona, so when we arrived at the airport a huge press crowd was waiting for them. And I had talked with that guy!

Many years later, going through a whole assessment centre process for a job entirely in Spanish, competing against five native speakers. I didn't get the job, but I got the second best results in the assessment centre.

More modestly, visiting Kiev last year and being able to have a short conversation in Russian with a taxi driver, and not least being able to understand most of what he said.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 34
02 April 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Haha great! I bet they liked talking to someone for whom they're just random Spanish guys.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version