Language Learning Forum : Français Post Reply
twopossums
United States
Joined 4138 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 7
02 April 2014 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
My wife and I were at a used book store the other day and I was looking through the language section and I ran across a script for a play called Antigone. It was only 99 cents and I wiped out my phone and did a quick YouTube search and there it is. The whole play on YouTube.

So I did some looking around and lo and behold it seems the French love plays. They put them on TV, you can buy the DVDs and YouTube has tons of them sitting there.

I’ve always lamented the fact that the French are so horrible at subtitles. EMK was even nice enough to start a thread devoted to listing the relatively few that are accurate. But this might be an untapped area. I know when I was in high school scripts for plays were everywhere. You can even get them in the library sometimes.

The problem is I have no idea what to search for. What would a the script for a play be called in French? I’m sure some must have fallen out of copyright and be free or we perhaps buy them off Amazon.fr. Almost 2 hours or native speech with a full transcript doesn’t sound bad.

Or does anybody even have suggestions of some plays that might be good to watch?

3 persons have voted this message useful

papillon
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5460 days ago

29 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, Vietnamese*

Message 2 of 7
23 April 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
You can find numerous plays from   "l'avant-scène théâtre" or here http://www.avant-scene-theatre.com/

The old theatrical plays are very cheap on Ebay; however, the more recent ones are expensive around $18-20.   L'avant-scène théâtre contains the complete transcriptions which are a wonderful tool to learn French. Even better is watching a play from "Au théatre ce soir" while reading the transcription. I love "Chat et souris", "Le jeu de la vérité", "La cage aux folles".

Then there is "l'avant-scène cinéma" which also contains transcriptions of movies (only old ones) because the company no longer prints modern films.
2 persons have voted this message useful

twopossums
United States
Joined 4138 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 

Message 3 of 7
25 April 2014 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
Awesome. I'll have to check out those out. Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction.

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 7
25 April 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Deutsche Welle has been broadcasting to Africa for a long time in several languages, one of which is French. DW has produced a series of "Radio-Plays" for multimedia education in Africa in French Deutsche-Welle Learning By Ear- Français. The actors are African. The topics vary. The conversation is colloquial, general French- intended for all the countries of Francophone Africa. The plays can be downloaded for free in both pdf and mp3 format. There's around 40 hours available with each individual radio-play having about 10 episodes with about 10-12 minutes each. The language is not overly complicated but is conversationaland intended to be educational. Also the English versions are available DW LBE English.

Better get them while you can. DW recently announced a massive cutback in its Africa service starting in 2015. They will be severely curtailing their language services other than English to Africa.

The DW radio-plays are also available in Portuguese, Amharic, Hausa and Swahili.

Edited by iguanamon on 25 April 2014 at 4:05pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

twopossums
United States
Joined 4138 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 

Message 5 of 7
03 May 2014 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
I've seen those before and they look very intesting. I can't find where to download the pdf's though. I did it once by accident but I can't remember how I did it.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 7
03 May 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
The pdf's download link is on the site but it doesn't jump out at you. First you must click on a link at the radio plays homepage to a specific radio play, like Contes africains. Then scroll down to "TÉLÉCHARGEMENTS", below the audios, to the first pdf link for Les aventures de M'bott le crapaud for the pdf for that particular episode.

As I said, if you want this, better get it now because it may be gone after the first of the year in 2015. You can even make your own bilingual texts out of them with a little effort. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Edited by iguanamon on 03 May 2014 at 2:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

twopossums
United States
Joined 4138 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 

Message 7 of 7
06 May 2014 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
I think I see my problem now. I was just having bad luck. Not every play has pdf's and I kept clicking on the ones that didn't have them.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version