40pancakes
Australia
Joined 5614 days ago

38 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 9 of 11
04 April 2014 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
Use sentences, delete liberally. Read more.

2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5037 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 10 of 11
04 April 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm proud to be the only *#$%$#*$ who says: "Use Anki, it's awesome" and "Don't delete cards, that's dumb." That being said, if you really hate it, then screw it. There are other ways of learning, plenty that don't utilize SRS.

Now I totally get off on SRS. When I do a shitload of cards in a day, I enjoy that. I find it the most efficient way of committing massive amounts of vocabulary and grammar to memory. And I would imagine, if we weren't making allowances for enjoyment or lack thereof, SRS would probably be the tool to use. But there's more to learning a language than learning a language--one takes account of what's pleasurable and what's not. And it sounds like Anki is quite unpleasurable for you--so, like I said, screw it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kszegosz
Diglot
Poland
Joined 4446 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French

Message 11 of 11
04 April 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, for all of you. I delete my deck : ). I start new one, but I'm considering to screw it. I dust my kindle off and install English-polish dictionary on it. That's really weird to learn language without learning. I have some crazy thinking about learning language, that there must be some unpleasant part of it, to be efficient. But I work on paradigm shift to just enjoy reading books (with pop-up dictionary) and watching series and movies.

Have you ever try memorise words using mnemonics? I ask, especially on intermediate-advance level, because it's simple to associate short/simple one, but how use mnemonics with words like preposterous or sth like that. Is it worth time I have to devote for it?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version