Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4067 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 1 of 30
04 April 2014 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
English dictionaries usually have them, but none in Spanish and German dictionaries
that I've seen. Clearly, transcriptions are usually redundant if a person has any
headway in learning these languages with their spelling systems, but I still think the
IPA symbols would be nice to have there on the page. I have heard that other languages
have writing systems just as chaotic as English, but French is the only one, that I
personally know something of, which is comparably inconsistent. Are they common in any
other dictionaries and do you think that they are under-used? Even if they took some
extra space on the page, I think it would only be good for language learning in general
if the alphabet was promoted more. Even better, it might even become a staple of
language learning methods, rather than the painful "prow-nunn-see-ey-shun" type of
transcription typically employed.

It has been embraced by the TEFL industry, after the dictionaries started using them -
is it common in classrooms and dictionaries for other languages?
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 30
04 April 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
In my short career as an FSL teacher, all the material I've ever seen indicating pronunciation used IPA, as do virtually dictionaries, and most of the other teachers I worked with also used IPA (or nothing).

Oddly, French IPA is very consistent, but just have a quick look at ESL sites teaching IPA for English, and you'll see so much variation: i:/i, i:/I and i/I (same pattern with e and u), 3 different versions of a, etc. Very confusing.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 3 of 30
04 April 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
English and French cannot be compared. You can predict how French words need to be pronounced if you know the rules, while English is very irregular. There are very few exceptions to the rules in French, but unfortunately the rules themselves are a bit complex.

However, for languages like Spanish and German, IPA is not necessary, because you can derive the pronunciation from the way words are spelt. Unfortunately, a lot of language learners don't really deal with pronunciation rules, which leads to unnecessary mispronunciations.

For languages like Danish, Faroese, or Irish, however, IPA is indispensable.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4987 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 4 of 30
04 April 2014 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Probably the same reasons that we use the English alphabet for spelling instead of just using IPA.

1. Historical lock-in. The QWERTY effect.

2. The same phoneme may have a different realization in different dialects. So we use one letter to represent all those realizations in a dictionary, while if we used IPA we'd have to use a different symbol for each dialectal variation.

3. Ease. For you and me, reading IPA may be fairly easy. For most readers, I'd guess, it's a lot easier to read "prow-nunn-see-ey-shun" than "/pɹəˌnʌnsiˈeɪʃən/."

Do Spanish and German dictionaries even have pronunciations listed? My experience is they don't even bother with it since they're so phonetic, giving pronunciation only for the few exceptions, like "hamster."
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chav
Diglot
Groupie
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4248 days ago

43 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 5 of 30
04 April 2014 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Back when I did a semester of linguistics my main problem was having to learn the sounds of Received Pronunciation so that I could even begin to use the IPA. ("But 'boot' and 'foot' have exactly the same vowel sound!")

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4280 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 6 of 30
04 April 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:

Do Spanish and German dictionaries even have pronunciations listed? My experience is they don't even bother with it since they're so phonetic, giving pronunciation only for the few exceptions, like "hamster."

I don't get that one. Where is the exception with "Hamster"?

I don't know about regular dictionaries, but there are pronunciation dictionaries for German. German wiktionary also gives you the pronunciation in IPA for most entries. There are some tricky details, mainly stress, but also r-vocalization and schwa-elision. The latter two are quite rule-bound, but rather complicated nontheless. But I do think regular dictionaries indicate stress, albeit not necessarily via IPA.

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4948 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 7 of 30
05 April 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I guess in the Spanish dictionary it might be looked for under Jamster!

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4987 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 8 of 30
05 April 2014 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
I don't get that one. Where is the exception with "Hamster"?

The h may be pronounced in Castillian. And let me tell you, a non-silent h in Castillian is absolutely bananas.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version