4nLV
United States
Joined 3683 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 18
05 April 2014 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
I know there are a lot of people on this site who probably have learned a language that
has certain special letters that cause problems for them while trying to type online,
simply because these letters don't exist in their own native language.

For example, I'm learning French and when trying to type on line I commonly have to
open up the virtual keyboard on Google Translate and copy/paste any words containing
the letters "ç, é, è, à, â, û etc.".

So I was wondering, what do you do? If you grew up using a standard English keyboard
with no special letters, do you use a virtual keyboard? Did you order a custom keyboard
with more letters? Do you use the same slow and tedious method I do?

Please fill me in.

Edited by 4nLV on 05 April 2014 at 4:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 18
05 April 2014 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
You can set up an international layout for windows:

Go to: Control Panel/Language and Region/Change Keyboard/Add...

from there you can choose which keyboard layout you want to add. I find that "US
International" covers most of my needs for Romance languages.

Once that is done, right-click on the task bar to open the Language Bar. This lets you
switch between layouts.

For US International the commands are:

' plus (letter) for an acute accent: á é í ó ú
` plus (letter) for an accent grave: à è ì ò ù
, plus (c) for ç
control- plus (letter)for ā ē ī ō ū
~ plus (n) for ñ
" plus (letter) for ö ü

and so on. You can get the hang of it quickly.

Although it doesn't work in this forum, I can type directly into word and then cut and
paste the whole text into HTLAL.   There are still a lot of letters in other languages
that aren't covered, but you can choose a different layout for your keyboard for those.
However, this also changes the actual layout of the keyboard, so it can get confusing.
I like the US International because it only changes the properties of a few keys.

Edited by kanewai on 05 April 2014 at 5:38am

9 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 3 of 18
05 April 2014 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
I've got a Mac. In 'Keyboard Preferences' I can select all the keyboards I need. Currently, I've got Australian, Thai, Swiss German (for German and French in one keyboard), Thai and Turkish. I have set a shortcut to cycle between those 5 keyboards. I type without looking at my keyboard (which is Chinese/American because I bought my Mac in Taiwan). Looking at my keyboard would utterly confuse me, but I don't do that, I look at the screen. I don't have problems switching between the different layouts, I seem to have developed separate motor skills for each of my languages. I would suggest you switch on French and just learn where the various special characters are without looking at the keys. After a few days or weeks, typing in French will become second nature.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 18
05 April 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
I use the Finnish keyboard settings, supplemented by abcTajpu and occasionally I just type the numerical codes, for example ALT+0227 for ã.

For me it also works fine on HTLAL, without the need to paste. But if you choose a method that involves pasting, get a clipboard manager (I prefer Ditto).
2 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4667 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 5 of 18
05 April 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Since Windows (7) and OSX is already mentioned:

If you've got Windows 8/8.1, setting it up is similar, but you can switch between them
by using win+space (which is similar to how it's done on a Mac, I think...)

How to set up:
1. press windows button to load the infamous Start screen
2. press windows + x
3. click "control panel"
4. find the "add language" option
5. click "add language"
6. choose and install that language

Please be aware that I use the Norwegian version of windows, hence the translations
might be wrong.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 18
05 April 2014 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
On Windows you can also switch by using Shift+Ctrl or Shift+Alt. in Russia there are actual flame wars about which is better.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5326 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 18
05 April 2014 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Since you're an English-language speaker learning French, you'll probably have three major choices on most operating systems:

1. US International keyboard layouts.
2. French keyboard layouts.
3. Canadian French keyboard layouts.

Options (1) and (3) are both regular QWERTY keyboards, with minor chances so you can type accented letters. Option (2), however, is actually an AZERTY keyboard, and it moves a lot of regular letters around for no obvious reason.

So if expect to switch between English and French a lot in the future, seriously consider options (1) and (3). I use an International keyboard on my Linux laptop, and a French Canadian keyboard on my Android devices, and I find it much less frustrating than changing to and from AZERTY all the time.

In general, I think it's really useful to learn to type your foreign languages relatively early on, at least if you're a computer person. This allows you to take notes, ask questions online, make Anki flashcards, and participate in text chats.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Alphathon
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 3974 days ago

60 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Scottish Gaelic

Message 8 of 18
05 April 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
If you're on Windows you could also create your own custom keyboard layout using Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator. It's not as straightforward as just changing the layout to US international, and may be better avoided if you're not sure of what you're doing, but it has the advantages that you can set the keys yourself and that you can add any character you want. For example, my custom layout allows me to type the German ß character, which the UK-Extended Layout lacks, with AltGr + s, as well as allowing me to type several other frequently used (by me anyway) characters with ease (±, ×, ÷, °, µ, etc).

Personally, if I were using a US keyboard I'd do it this way since I'm not a fan of how the US international layout makes the keys primarily accent keys with their "normal" function secondary (requiring space to be pressed to activate them - I don't want to have to hit two keys every time I want to type a comma or a quotation mark). I much prefer the system used by the UK-Extended Layout, wherein holding AltGr (right Alt) activates the accent dead keys, thus allowing them to function normally the rest of the time.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version