Tags: Beginner
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3881 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
05 April 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I hope this subject hasn't been discussed before (but I checked and have not found it...).

I was wondering if some of you have used the collection "for dummies" (or "pour les nuls" in french) to study a language. I have the Spanish and russian books in the french collection, but I wonder if it really is a useful material to spend time on, and I have also already spotted a mistake lately in the dutch book of a friend, which is why I wonder if it really is to be trusted...

Edited by guiguixx1 on 06 April 2014 at 10:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4837 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 3
05 April 2014 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I think they are mainly aimed for tourists and passive learners who do not deem it
necessary to have a depth in the language.

I have the French, Arabic, and Japanese ones as ebooks and they are all same.

Although through serious study you can gain a good level so see for yourself :-)

Edited by linguaholic_ch on 05 April 2014 at 6:53pm

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3696 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 3
06 April 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
I have Italian for Dummies. I never really used it as a main study source but I have used it for reference when I was studying Italian years ago. It has a lot of info, covers grammar, idiots, culture and such. I can't say I've noticed many mistakes in it (I didn't use it that much), but I will say that most sources that I use now for German (Assimil, FSI, RS, etc) have had the occasional mistake so it's not something you can really get around, nor is it a huge deal (unless there's a lot of them).

I'd say go for it. I'm a fan of the For Dummies series, I just (for some reason) find it hard to really dig into them with the paper that they use. It's not pleasing to my eyes or something.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version