Triglot
Canada
Joined 5215 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 297 of 319
05 May 2014 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
After all this debate about vocabulary and preparation for the CFER C level exams of oral proficiency, it is
instructive to see some samples of what examiners consider appropriate. Here is a site when you can see videos
of students de various levels:

Examples of
CFER levels of oral
proficiency

The site might be a bit confusing to use in the beginning. You choose the CFER level that you want then the
language of the test. In the next page, you will see a list of students ranked from A at the top down to C. This
part is not clear.

Then you can read comments by examiners about the individual performances.

I highly recommend at the C2 level students. They are very good. But more importantly, the vocabulary is nothing
very specialized, but the delivery is excellent.

Edited by s_allard on 05 May 2014 at 2:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 298 of 319
10 May 2014 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
I have now made my calculations concerning the English vocabulary in my Multiconfused log thread, and the result is not quite what I expected. My guess was that a sample of some 15.000 words would be so representative of my language in general that it wouldn't mean much to extend the sample. But based on my results with a much larger sample it seems that the number of words used roughly is proportional with the sample size. You can see the details in my log.

Of course there must be an upper limit, and it must lie lower han my passive vocabulary - although I could have used words which I saw in a dictionary or on the internet, used and promptly forgot again. But I don't have corpora of a size that could prove it - especially not in my weaker languages, where you could expect that I move within a smaller vocabulary and repeat myself to a larger extent than in English. But maybe it wouldn't help because in those languages I also use my dictionaries more frequently than I do when I write in English.

Edited by Iversen on 10 May 2014 at 2:28am

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6650 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 299 of 319
10 May 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Thats what language learning is all about - voabulary. You recognise the words, you will
go far
3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4229 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 300 of 319
11 May 2014 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
One of the best approaches to learning is an immersion course where the whole class is forced to speak to the
teacher in the language you're learning. 2 case scenarios: in Canada you have English & French as official languages.
If you reside in the English-speaking part of the country, you'd take French until your high school years as
requirement. I've seen the people who are in the immersion program do much better than the one who are in a
regular French program that focuses on grammar & vocabulary than speaking.

Sometime ago I've gone to Taiwan for a summer exchange program. The people were divided into 3 groups (A, B &
C) for their Mandarin classes. The people who were assigned to the basic level only knew a few words & phrases but
not enough to carry on a conversation. The ones who were enrolled in the advanced level could speak at a high level
already and they also had the most to gain. It is like taking an auto-mechanic course to fix cars. If you already have
some experience how to change the oil, filter, etc., you'd learn faster than those who hasn't touch a car besides
cleaning the windows.

betelgeuzah
Diglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4186 days ago

51 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 301 of 319
11 May 2014 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
IIRC Finns are like that. Sure, you can say that we speak good English (generally) considering our first language is nothing like it. But more often than not it comes down to us having a good grasp of a small amount of vocabulary and grammar.

I think that is enough for many things. Vocabulary only becomes a significant limitation once you step out of the spoken language and everyday written language. To be honest, if you never encounter the vocab you won't need it either (over a certain threshold, which is quite low). And if you do encounter such words, you can kind of passively absorb most of it anyway. That's how I've been able to expand my vocab knowledge over the years.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 302 of 319
11 May 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
FYI, IIRC stands for "if I recall correctly" :-)
Do you know anyone who actually passed an YKI test though? I agree that for a casual impression of a good level, a small vocabulary might be okay, but there's no way you can pass a B2 or higher test like that. At least if it's anything like the Finnish for foreigners one I passed.

betelgeuzah
Diglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4186 days ago

51 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 303 of 319
11 May 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I read about it somewhere actually, thus the IIRC :D I should have made it clearer in my post.

I'm sure it won't be enough for B2 or higher, and usually Finns do study for tests like that with vocab lists and such. But I'm not sure if the vocab actually sticks in the long run. If you don't encounter the vocab and don't need to use it you'll probably end up forgetting it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 304 of 319
11 May 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
True. But it seems like many Finns just know better what to do with a solid B1+ level. And most seem to know the vocabulary needed for their job.
Makes me think of this simple, beautiful song.

In your opinion, why is it so different with Swedish btw? Just because it's far less useful than English? When people learn a language voluntarily (let's say Spanish or German), are they able to use a relatively low level efficiently?

Edited by Serpent on 11 May 2014 at 10:06pm

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version